Thread: Amp recommendation.....

Default Amp recommendation.....

Hello,
    I am new here I just purchased a Toshiba 46hm84 and an Oppo OPDV971H DVD player. I think I am going to go 5.1 for my living room. I am leaning towards the CBM-170's for the mains, the CMT-340 center channel, and the HTM-200 surrounds. My question is what is a good receiver to match up with these. I was looking into the HK AVR-235 or 435, Panasonic SA-XR70S, Yamaha HTR-5860, any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance

Kali

If you can run your DVD directly to your TV, check out the Panasonic XR-55. I talk about it here.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...1&page=1&pp=10

If you need to use your receiver for video switching, I can't make any recommendations. I'm too low tech on the video end of things.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    If you can run your DVD directly to your TV, check out the Panasonic XR-55. I talk about it here.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...1&page=1&pp=10

If you need to use your receiver for video switching, I can't make any recommendations. I'm too low tech on the video end of things.

David
    I was looking at that thread today on AVS. I will be running the DVD to the HDMI
    on the TV and the comcast receiver through components. So the xr-55 sounds like it could be a winner. Thanks
    Last edited by kali77; 08-23-2005 at 05:13 PM.

435's pretty nice. The EQ seemed to make a difference in my room (nicer overall sound; cleaner bass; compared to HK 1005 & 2005). Plenty of power. I think it's worth the extra dough for the EQ of the 435/635 over the 235.

Quote Originally Posted by kali77
    I am leaning towards the CBM-170's for the mains, the CMT-340 center channel, and the HTM-200 surrounds
    kali, i have that same exact setup along with a pb10 mating them with a pio 1014 and i'm not complainin one bit. give it an audition; the HKs are also great

The Yamaha RX-V657 got a rave review in the most recent Perfect Vision. If I was buying a new mid-priced receiver I'd at least try to audition this one.
    brad

end of transmission.......

There are so many good values in the receiver market right now that I'd be more concerned about getting the features that I think I'd want/need for the next few years than anything else. YMMV.

David

Thanks everyone. Yeah looks like I am going to have to go audition some receivers this weekend. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by kali77
    Thanks everyone. Yeah looks like I am going to have to go audition some receivers this weekend. Thanks again
    The majority of 'in store' auditioning time should be spent seeing whether the receivers have the all features/connections that you want and whether you are comfortable with the layout of the remote, ergonomics of the knobs etc. Bikeman implied this in his post, but I'll elaborate.

There's no point in listening to the different receivers yet. At first glace this may seem like a stupid suggestion, but here's why it isn't:

Huge differences exist between the various speakers and listening rooms at stores. These differences will totally overwhelm the relatively tiny variations between the sound of receivers. What you really want to know is whether the receiver will sound good in your home. So, find a receiver (or two) with the features that you want, buy from a store with good return policy, and then do your listening comparisons at home with your speakers. This group can give you good advice on how compare two receivers once you get them home, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.