Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home theater set-up options

Curtis, I also ran the THX test on NEMO. The sub didn't fire when it was suppsoed to, the sub seemed to work fine during the movie though. Do you think there is problem? This goes out to anyone who can help. Thanks in advanced.

Curtis - how did you like the fishtank tapping scene (chapter 25) in Nemo with that VTF-3? It's a fun demo scene.

J.A.P.,

At first I thought same thing with the THX test...but then I turned the volume up and heard the sub fine. Remember, lower freqs are not as easy to hear.

Brad,

Chapter 25 was funny. I had read the tapping scene was chapter 25, so when after I ran the THX test, I went right to it. Ofcourse the tapping starts right away.....caught me off guard....WOW! (good thing the kids were in their room at the time)

-curtis

All,

Regarding the Sub, I'd get the Hsu VTF-2 which seems sufficient for my space.

I'll follow up with David F. and look into Ascend's "extender" program. If I go that route then I would get the CMT-340c center speaker along with four CBM-170s and the Hsu VTF-2. If necessary, I'd upgrade to a 6.1 system with the addition of an HTM-200 for the center rear surround.

Also, since the Denon DVD-1600 was discontinued I'll explore their DVD-2200.

Lastly, what do you like in $500-$750 price range for receivers?

Well....I like my Harman/Kardon. I have heard great things about NAD and the Pioneer Elites(The ones with MCACC). The entry level Marantz I had was nice.

Others love Denon and Onkyo.

That should be enough to get you started. []

-curtis

Curtis is right, at the price point you're considering HK, Denon, Onkyo, and others all make very nice receivers. There are many worthy receivers out there and there are quite a few that you would be totally satisfied with owning. Pete, the Ascend/Hsu lineup that you mentioned is the one I have and I'm very pleased with it. The Denon DVD-2200 is a very capable player (I take it that a universal player is important to you) and I have not regreted buying it at all. Looks like you will have one awesome sounding system. Keep us posted!

Costco.com still has that great deal on the HK525 receiver
    for $650.00.

Nice receiver at a nicer price!
    Rick

All,

I live in Seattle and would love to listen to an Ascend Acoustics home theater set-up. Is there anyone out there in the greater Seattle area who would be willing to demo their system for me?

Thanks in advance. Pete.

Pete,

I'm in Portland and end up in Seattle on a somewhat regular basis. Let me know if you cant get a better offer, and maybe I can bring a pair of cbm-170's up with me the next time I'm traveling to your end of the northwest.

-Michael

Wow Michael....very nice offer.

I know there is a guy in Seattle with a very nice Ascend set-up hooked up to a Sherbourn amp and pre/pro, I can not find his posts now. I will keep trying.

Update: I found him and sent him a PM.

-curtis