Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home theater set-up options

Pete,
    What will be the music/movie %? If you listen to a lot of music I would recommend going with the 170s for your surrounds, if HT is the focus I think the 200s would be fine.Since you are going 6.1 you might consider a 200 for the rear because of it's wider soundfield.

Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. The room is more home theater oriented since it's in my basement and has now windows. That being said, it's also the room with the best audio equipment and environment for discriminating listening.

However, to answer your question regarding percentages I would say that it will be used 70% for home theater and 30% for listening to music.

Also, I was thinking of getting the Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1-channel Digital A/V Receiver and the Denon DVD-1600 Progressive Scan DVD player. Do you think I'm on the right track with this other equipment and will it match up well with the Acend speakers?

Pete,

I'm with Ben on his suggestions. If you want the best sound, get the 170's for surrounds.

The Outlaw 1050 is a nice receiver, but it is also now outdated. It does not have Dolby Prologic II for instance. A lot of good receivers out there for $500.

-curtis

Pete,
    The Denon DVD-1600 is very highly regarded, but discontinued. Unless you already have one, it might be difficult getting your hands on one of these jewels. Curtis is right about the 1050, there are many worthwhile receivers out there with the newest features. Let us know what you decide on!

Guys,

If I were to put CBM-170's all around except for the rear center surround speaker where I would have an HTM-200 would I be giving up much? I guess the real question here is how much content comes from the rear center surround speaker? Would a 170 be a big improvement over a 200?

Also, what DVD players and receivers do you like in the $500 (each) range. As for the Outlaw 1050, I was drawn to it's bank vault like heft/feel.

Pete,

How big is your room? Unless the room is large, the rear center is not that big of a deal. The two side surrounds create a phantom rear center. Also, there really is not much stuff encoded to take advantage of that rear center.

What kind of TV do you have? If it is something that can not take advantage of the high picture quality that some of the DVD players are capable of, then I would get the Pioneer 563a for $180. I would then put more money into a receiver and look at the new HK 430 or 630.

A higher quality universal player would be the Denon 2200. I think Ben has this one. I think it is around $400. And then look for a good deal on an HK 325 or 525. I like the Marantz 4300 and 5300 as well at that price range. NAD's are nice too, but not sure you can get them at that price. All kinds of receivers at that price...tough to play with them all.

-curtis

Curtis,

The room is 15' long x 13' wide with a 7' ceiling. The rear projection television that I'm leaning towards is the Pioneer SD-643HD3 which has a 64" diagonal screen. What do you think?

Also, while I'm wired for a 6.1 set up, I could just do a 5.1 system instead with CBM-170s all around and a CMT-340c center speaker. What about that?

Pete,
    You could try a 5.1 system first and see if it is suitable. with Ascend's "extender" program you can buy parts of a system as your budget allows and complete your set up in 45 day increments and still qualify for the "package price discount" - check the website for details or email David F. (he's extremely good to work with). I've enjoyed my Denon DVD-2200 so far and recommend it for someone wanting a mid-priced universal player (although it's price is $599.99)!

Pete, what sub are you considering? I'd suggest a Hsu VTF-2 or VTF-3. Curtis is a brave soul running the potent VTF-3 so close to a major faultline! []

LOL!! Distiguishing the VTF-3 and an earthquake can be tough. []

Pete, in that size of room, I think 5.1 will be fine. I just watched "Finding Nemo" with the kids last night...and beforehand ran the THX test that is part of the movie, when it tested the center rears, which I do not have, and used the surrounds to create the "phantom" center rear effect, it sounded great....like there were really some back there.

Ben...I didn't realize the DVD-2200 was that much. I guess I'm sticking to my cheap Pioneer 563a...what I do not know won't hurt me.

-curtis