Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32 X 14 X 8 Living Room - 340's (2) + 10PB10

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyt
    I have read in several places that the Ascends "sound great" with HK recievers....

Is this to say that they would not "sound great" or better with other companies recievers? (i.e. Mcintosh, Rotel, Yamaha, Panasonic, JVC, Audiosource, Audiovox)

Were Ascend speakers built specifically to "sound great" with HK? (i.e. designed around specific HK specifications)....
    The Ascends will sound equally great with any good-quality amplifier provided it has enough power.

This fact may be a surprise to you if you've been reading amplifier reviews in high-end audio magazines where the "sound" of a given amplifier is described in great detail. However, countless studies by qualified listeners, electrical engineers, and honest audio publications summarized here have consistently shown that when used within the range of their power capabilities at precisely matched volume levels, all good-quality amplifiers sound exactly the same.

Given the description of the car system you put together, I can tell that your standards are going to be pretty high. Since you like listening at such high volumes in a large room, I'd recommend getting the most powerful amplifier of decent quality that you can afford. Two names in good quality but reasonably priced amps that sping to mind are Rotel and Adcom.
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 08-22-2005 at 06:56 AM.

Kurt....

I really liked the article on amps.... it makes me ? an amps "sound".
    And it does seem in all honesty that an amp shall be there to only pass on the recorded material.

I was into recording for about 3 years and the amps we had at school (crown amps) and also the one I bought (an alesis) only had volume controls on the amps, nothing more. No sound effect knobs, no treble, no bass, --just a left volume and a right volume + good clean power. And we used nearfield monitors which IMO sounded NEUTRAL.

Now reflecting back on that article you posted -I think there is a difference at least between a "recording/studio amplifier" and a "reciever". it seems as if recievers sounds are colored more. that is more (or less) treble and bass added to whatever is sent through, as where a studio amp sounds more "neutral"?

what do you think?

thanksm, rp

I worked with a lotta studio equipment back in the early nineties at the Belfer Audio Archieves. All the amps were Crowns. It would have been impossible for me to tell any differences because the rooms and speakers were so different from what I had at home. I doubt I could have told any difference if all the variables were controled. Now, the speakers. I'd probably have to have been dead for a few days not to have told those McIntoshs from my Missions.
    I still go back for a visit once in awhile but I don't get to play with the toys anymore.

David

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyt
    Now reflecting back on that article you posted -I think there is a difference at least between a "recording/studio amplifier" and a "reciever". it seems as if recievers sounds are colored more. that is more (or less) treble and bass added to whatever is sent through, as where a studio amp sounds more "neutral"?
    In a sense, comparing amps to receivers is like comparing apples to, well... fruit salad.

However, the short answer is no IF: the receiver is of good quality (meaning both the pre-amplifier and amplifier section are well engineered and constructed); digital sound-processing, equalization, and bass managment functions of the receiver are off; volume levels are precisely matched and neither the amp nor the receiver is being pushed to the onset of clipping. The fact that good amps do and should sound exactly the same is good news.

Now all we have to do is pick good speakers, set them up well, and get on to what this is really all about--enjoying quality films and music.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    In a sense, comparing amps to receivers is like comparing apples to, well... fruit salad.

However, the short answer is no IF: the receiver is of good quality (meaning both the pre-amplifier and amplifier section are well engineered and constructed); digital sound-processing, equalization, and bass managment functions of the receiver are off; volume levels are precisely matched and neither the amp nor the receiver is being pushed to the onset of clipping. The fact that good amps do and should sound exactly the same is good news.
    But almost all of us use bass management and many like digital processing. So be sure to listen to how well the receivers do those functions as you are mostly likely going to be using them and how they do those functions affects their sound.

Is this how you get to all receivers sound the same? Turn off all the functions that you use that can change how the receiver sounds?
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-24-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    But almost all of us use bass management and many like digital processing. So be sure to listen to how well the receivers do those functions as you are mostly likely going to be using them and how they do those functions affects their sound.

Is this how you get to all receivers sound the same? Turn off all the functions that you use that can change how the receiver sounds?
    Quinn,

I know you're being sarcastic but, if you read the post that I was responding to, you'll see that we were discussing whether receivers sound different than amplifiers. My point, to extend the analogy further, was that if they do, it's probably not due to the apples (amp section) in the fruit salad (receiver).

BTW Quinn, did you read the Master's on Amplifier "Sound" article? I'd like to hear any logical disagreements you have so that we can put amp discussions behind us and move on.
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 08-24-2005 at 11:39 AM.

I think amp section can play a big role.....as well as the pre-amp section.

There is an integrated amp(no processing) sold by AV123, that when tested, has what amounts to a bass boost.

I recently got to compare some NuForce amps to my ATI's in my own home. I loved the NuForce amps...and wish I could afford them, but they also made a difference. Not a huge difference, but enough to make things sound "better" to me. Something that attribute to their very high damping numbers.
    -curtis

Default Has anyone heard of heard of the Panasonic SA-XR70 reciever?

Has anyone heard of heard of the Panasonic SA-XR70?

Just wondering if it is a good amp and could be effective with the 340's and 170's??

I have the Panasonic S97 upscaling DVD player hooked up to a Pioneer plasma via HDMI and most movies look great - and thought it would be a good match because it says you can play DVD-AUDIO through the HMDI interface/cable rather than going the 6 or so cables for analog.

Just not sure how it would sound with the ascends??? AND WOULD IT HAVE ENOUGH POWER?

Anyone have any opinions about the SA-XR70??

thanks, s

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I think amp section can play a big role.....as well as the pre-amp section.

There is an integrated amp(no processing) sold by AV123, that when tested, has what amounts to a bass boost.

I recently got to compare some NuForce amps to my ATI's in my own home. I loved the NuForce amps...and wish I could afford them, but they also made a difference. Not a huge difference, but enough to make things sound "better" to me. Something that attribute to their very high damping numbers.
    Any amp that changes the sound is, in effect, adding processing. While there are amps that do this and people who actually prefer the sound of such amps, I wouldn't want to own one. My goal is to build a system that accurately reproduces the sound that the musician/filmmaker intended, not the sound after alteration by some tweako tube amp manufacturer.

Curtis, have you read the Masters article?

I have not read the article yet...but I will.

Any amp that changes the sound is, in effect, adding processing. While there are amps that do this and people who actually prefer the sound of such amps, I wouldn't want to own one. My goal is to build a system that accurately reproduces the sound that the musician/filmmaker intended, not the sound after alteration by some tweako tube amp manufacturer.
    That is my goal as well, and I believe some amps come closer to this than others.
    -curtis