Thread: Sin City is a winner

Default Sin City is a winner

I watched the newly-released Sin City DVD last night. First impressions:The sound effects in the included DTS soundtrack were really nice. Lots of breaking glass to test the tweeters and explosions to wake up my subwoofer (and downstairs neighbors?)

I found the heavy use of localized sounds in the surround channels to be a bit disconcerting at first, but I think it may have added to the surreal, graphic novel feel of the movie.

Use of black and white with selective color insertion was interesting too.

This is one that slipped past my radar screen. I had forgotten about it until I saw promos on TV for the DVD release. I'll have to check it out. Started a new job with the company I work for, and for the next few months we're working 10 hours a day, six days a week until we get caught up on our gas main leaks. I'm dog tired all the time, but the overtime's nice. It's cut waaaaay into my DVD time.
    - EVH III

Another nice thing about this DVD (for those of us with limited time) is that although there is a common thread that runs through the movie, there three 'mini-stories'. So, it works pretty well to watch it in 3 X ~40 minute installments.

smokey is offline Forum Founder
    Volunteer Administrator

If you like the movie, you should see the comics! Sin City is, without a doubt, the most faithful representation of a comic made into a movie, ever. To me, it's almost an art film (a very violent one ) in its embrace of a hyper-stylized look. I'm curious what people who are not fans of the comic make of it.

-Smokey.

PS: The priest who Marv talks to in the confessional is Frank Miller, the writer/artist of the comic book and co-director of the movie. He is just about single-handedly responsible for the revolution in comic books in the 80s that ultimately led to the boom of comic book movies. You can decide for yourself if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

i was just telling a coworker the other day about how i was sorta' tired of all the comic book movies. batman, spiderman, xmen, spiderman again, batman again, fantastic four...i was burnt out.

this past weekend i wanted to rent something, and i looked at some of the recommendations on this forum. the sin city comments stuck in my mind as i browsed through blockbuster.

the film was a great adaptation of classic comic plots and scene transitions. the camera angles and 'colors' were excellent. the voice overs were superb. characters were developed in comic book style. the filming of car scenes was really interesting - stretched angles. it made you feel like you were reading and watching a live comic book. thankfully, it was nothing like all of the other comic book movies. i thoroughly enjoyed this film. 8.5/10

Just got around to seeing this one, really liked it, and the DTS track sounded wonderful. And I don't mean just the sound FX, the voices were incredible out of the 340c.