Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you use an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I believe most people here know about SPL meters, have them, and use them. I always level match when comparing speakers and usually do it with amps too.

Also, I think most know to recalibrate their system after changing any componets.
    I think this reply says it all. It's like asking "Food is important, why don't people eat it?" Answer: they do.
    Peace!
    Sygyzy

OK, so lots of people have SPL meters and use them. That's great.

I love hearing people describe the effect of adding or switching a component in their system. I'm a maniac about reminding everyone how critical volume level matching is because I want to be sure that I'll hear what they heard.
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 08-16-2005 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly

Analogies usually aren't appropo except on the surface but Ahbi's was funny.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    I'm a maniac about reminding everyone how critical volume level matching is because I want to be sure that I'll hear what they heard.
    There is no guarantee of this as everyone hears differently. We aren't all exactly the same. The scientific endeavor gets gummed up with individuals' perceptions aren't constant. Even within an individual they aren't constant.
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-16-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    There is no guarantee of this as everyone hears differently. We aren't all exactly the same. The scientific endeavor gets gummed up with individuals' perceptions aren't constant. Even within an individual they aren't constant.
    Good point. Perhaps we should really be seeking the opposite. If someone we trust does a careful comparison and tells us that there are NOT audible differences between X and Y, we will be able to focus our time and money on things that really will result in audible improvements.

So here's a better question: What changes have you made to your system that didn't improve the sound?
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 08-16-2005 at 02:22 PM.

So here's a better question: What changes have you made to your system that didn't improve the sound?
    I got married.

David

Almost everyone who reads this forum cares deeply about how their system sounds, so why do so few of us have or use SPL meters?
    For me, I initially thought it was too techy/geeky and only for pros. Also, for some, something that you'll use so infrequently doesn't seem like a worthwhile purchase. But, since my HK has one built-in to the remote, I've come to realize the importance of it and that it's very easy to use. I'll never trust the settings on any auto-calibration feature again.

I have one and use it regularly. If for nothing else I like to see how loud the music or movie is when I am listening.

There are 3 things that are fairly inexpensive and are great investments in your A/V system:
    SPL meter,
    Video/Audio Calibration Disc (AVIA/DVE),
    Room Treatments.

Why spend thousands of dollars on audio and video equipment and not get the most you can out of your setup?

Exactamundo.
    We use the SPL meter to get the most out of the equipment we own. Pretty simple, really. It's for calibration and equalization. It's not for telling us what we like or not, or what is best, but for setting things up to an 'agreed-upon' norm and balance. After that, you're on your own to tweak and adjust as you see fit. But with the meter (used properly, and all that) you are relatively assured that you've got a good foundation to build on, or move away from.

cheers

shane

Ps... oh yeah, I occaisionally check my listening levels too
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Quote Originally Posted by jermy4
    There are 3 things that are fairly inexpensive and are great investments in your A/V system: SPL meter, Video/Audio Calibration Disc (AVIA/DVE),
    Room Treatments.

Why spend thousands of dollars on audio and video equipment and not get the most you can out of your setup?
    I agree completely. If anyone out there hasn't taken advantage of these 'big 3', you really should.

I'm in the process of building some fiberglass sound-absorbing panels for my listening room/HT. I finished the first one last night and placed at what I think is the worst reflection point between the speakers and my sofa. I wasn't expecting much of a difference because it was only one 2X4 foot panel. However, my subjective impression is that the improvement is amazing. Dialog sounds much clearer and is far easier to understand, even at low volume levels. I'll try to post some more objective data such as frequency responses -/+ the panels in the near future.