Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you use an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter?

Default Why don't you use an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter?

The experts tell me that it is impossible to compare different components in a meaningful manner or accurately compare two speakers without carefully matching volume levels using a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, yet few people have or use them.
    Sound and Vision's "How We Compare Speakers"
    More info on using SPL meter and why it is important
    The cheap ones only cost $40. Almost everyone who reads this forum cares deeply about how their system sounds, so why do so few of us have or use SPL meters?
    Last edited by Kurt C.; 08-18-2005 at 01:10 PM.

I believe most people here know about SPL meters, have them, and use them. I always level match when comparing speakers and usually do it with amps too.

Also, I think most know to recalibrate their system after changing any componets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    why do so few of us have or use SPL meters?
    Why do so few people have multi thousand dollar TV's and nothing to calibrate them with? They're considered options and aren't seen as contributing day in, day out. They're in a drawer. How can something contribute that's in a drawer? The people who are passionate (obsessed?) about such things know the value but to a newbie or casual plug and play type individual, it's just not worth it.
    It's the norm for ongoing contributors to the forums to have and use these tools but for the folks just stopping by with the new toys, it just hasn't registered (yet).
    Be gentle on these people. They'll get the message if we present in a way they can appreciate.

David

P.S. I don't always follow my own advice but I should.

I'm with Quinn on this. I tend to think the folks on this forum are aware of the value of the indispensable SPL meter. Maybe time for a poll??

Randy

I've got one! It's in a drawer right now, bit I got one

I would think that this is an indispensable item for anyone who cares about the sound of/from their system.
    I would also tend to agree that the vast majority of those who participate in this and other 'AV' fora have them (tucked away in a drawer too). And use them at the first curiosity or feeling that things might be amiss.

But that's just a guess.

Cheers

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

I have one. I'll always use it when adding or changing components, and even sometimes when "The Boss" changes something in the room (furniture position, wall hangings, etc.) Is that obsesive?? Oh well, I kind of like my obsession.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

I've got mine! Just used it last night over a friends house to level match his HT setup. He felt his system sounded clearer after doing so.

It sits in my lowboy on a shelf next to my VCR most of the time.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default True...But..

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    The experts tell me that it is impossible to compare different components in a meaningful manner or accurately match the volume of two speakers without using a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, yet few people have or use them.
    Very true! ....if you are comparing 2 components which are close in performance. I am no expert, but when the differences are very clear, distinct and obvious, you won't even think of using one. For example, when I replaced my old bookshelfs with Ascends, the immediate reaction was "WOW!". Without the meter, I could tell how clearer, crisper the sound was, and how it maintained it even at higher volumes. Sure, I did use the SPL meter to calibrate them. But didn't need it for comparison. No offense to anyone please, but afterall we don't use a lux meter to tell day from night!

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    but afterall we don't use a lux meter to tell day from night!
    Haha - I like that one.

I have, and use, an SPL meter. Of course, I also use the Sound and Vision disc to calibrate both sound and video. I also stray into the extreme by owning measurement equipment that's a set up from an SPL meter.