Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got HK DPR 2005 today..

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    In comes the Avia DVD from NetFlix.
    Never thought of doing that. Good idea. Just added to my queue.
    Last edited by BGHD; 08-29-2005 at 01:23 PM.

I ditto BGHD! thanks Abhi for the inadvertent tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    Afterall, sound is sound. It can only be categorized as either pure or distorted. There is no analog vs digital sound in my book anymore! :-)
    Enjoy!
    Abhi, I really enjoyed reading your review of the receiver--especially your 'Eureka' moment when you realized that obvious differences between the sound of your old denon and the newer digital-amped HK disappeared when you did a careful level calibration with the Avia disk.

I'll be interested to hear the impressions of BGHD and Eddie before and after calibrating their systems with Avia.

Talking

Eddie, BGHD,
    Also search for "Digital Video Essentials" on netflix!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    Abhi, I really enjoyed reading your review of the receiver--especially your 'Eureka' moment when you realized that obvious differences between the sound of your old denon and the newer digital-amped HK disappeared when you did a careful level calibration with the Avia disk.

I'll be interested to hear the impressions of BGHD and Eddie before and after calibrating their systems with Avia.
    Kurt,
    Using external test tones makes sense when comparing two products. However, I didn't get a chance to calibrate the DPR with Avia. There could be some differences due to the pre-processing between these two, but to my untrained ears the overall differences were minimal, if played within limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I ditto BGHD! thanks Abhi for the inadvertent tip.
    Now I can spend the money I saved, on a SPL meter. I returned the 2005, so without the remote w/ built-in meter, gotta go buy one.

BTW, it went back because I bought the 435. Tough decision b/w the two. Luckily, the 2005 floor model I bought from Fry's was defective (noticeable fan noise that wasn't present in the 1005 I had earlier), so the decision was easy to return the 2005. But, having had both at the same time, I'd give a very slight edge to the 435 for the EQ. The 435 seemed to tighten-up the bass a tad better than the 2005, at least in my room to my untrained ears.
    Last edited by BGHD; 08-30-2005 at 08:14 PM.