Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got HK DPR 2005 today..

Default Got HK DPR 2005 today..

..BRAND NEW at Fry's for $499! Couldn't resist it! I've used Panasonic XR25 before with my Ascend setup. Currently I'm using Denon 2802. I was looking at Panasonic XR55, but got this instead. I'll post my impressions in a few days.

Seems like a lot of people are jumping on this deal. Fry's is cleaning house it seems.

wow, $500 for the 2005, isn't that like half off MSRP?

I'm dying to hear the comparison with the xr-25.

Found out it's $599 in SoCal. Bought probably one of the last ones available in the area.
    Last edited by BGHD; 08-14-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Thumbs up Initial impressions

Setup: 5 Ascend CBM-170s, HSU-VTF-2, BFD, Sony DVD player, DPR 2005
    Day 1: Connected the receiver and did a quick manual calibration. Kept the default 8ohm setting. All channels set to SMALL@ 80Hz. Played a few CDs and DVDs. First thought was the sound was very different compared to my denon. I was not sure which one I liked more. 2005 had cleaner, crisper and more detailed sound. But thought Denon had more musicality. Felt the actual power was almost same on both the receivers.

Day 2: Looked at CBM-170 impedance graph. Decided to try 6ohm setting on DPR 2005. Played TV (Dish network), few CDs and DVDs. And......Magic time, fellas! The sounds floated freely in the space effortlessly! Each instrument had it's own space in the spectrum. The sound was fresh, crisp and super clean and did not lose it's character even at higher than moderate volumes. Power as compared to Den0n (2802) was definitely more. Bass was tight. Treble was smooooth, but detailed and musical. Better resolution than the den0n. Digital sources sounded far superior. What amazed me was the analog sources, which sounded even better than through the Den0n. Definitely a keeper!

More later!

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    Setup: 5 Ascend CBM-170s, HSU-VTF-2, BFD, Sony DVD player, DPR 2005
    Day 1: Connected the receiver and did a quick manual calibration.

The sounds floated freely in the space effortlessly! Each instrument had it's own space in the spectrum. The sound was fresh, crisp and super clean and did not lose it's character even at higher than moderate volumes. Power as compared to Den0n (2802) was definitely more. Bass was tight. Treble was smooooth, but detailed and musical. Better resolution than the den0n. Digital sources sounded far superior. What amazed me was the analog sources, which sounded even better than through the Den0n. Definitely a keeper!
    Phrases like 'tight bass', smooth treble, and clean and crisp describe speakers, not receivers. These qualities you describe are almost surely due to the great Ascend/Hsu combo, which you've had all along...

Can you please match volume levels on the receivers with an SPL and get back to us about whether the differences you heard are honestly still apparent?

I know, I'm a bit of a jerk for being so rigorous,

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C.
    Phrases like 'tight bass', smooth treble, and clean and crisp describe speakers, not receivers. These qualities you describe are almost surely due to the great Ascend/Hsu combo, which you've had all along...

Can you please match volume levels on the receivers with an SPL and get back to us about whether the differences you heard are honestly still apparent?

I know, I'm a bit of a jerk for being so rigorous,
    You are right! Speakers play the biggest role and kudos to Ascend/HSU! But my point was with better electronics the sound from the ascends escalates to the higher levels. May be I should have used terms like tighter bass, smoother treble and so on! Describing the sound in words is a big pain, trust me! :-) Please remember that these are initial impressions as stated in the title. Unfortunately I do not have time to A/B them the way you described. But I am sure the comparison is approximately at the same volume levels. If you divide the volume leveles into low, moderate and high, the detail, smoothness and bass characteristics at any volume ranges from DPR 2005 was definitely a few notches above from the denon. No doubt the Denon 2802 is a very fine receiver, but DPR 2005 is a different beast in a higher class.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    But I am sure the comparison is approximately at the same volume levels.
    If you're happy with the results, approximate is OK. Approximate just makes it difficult for your finding to be of value to someone else comparting the same units. Even a minor increase in volume (less than we can detect with casual listening) can influence the outcome. That's why so many of us own SPL meters. It means one less variable. And it's a BIG variable even when it's small.

David

The clean zero background noise on digital recievers like that HK is something completely different from an analog receiver. All the level matching in the world isn't going to make the Denon have no sound/hiss in dead spots whereas a digital amp has nothing where there is nothing.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    If you're happy with the results, approximate is OK. Approximate just makes it difficult for your finding to be of value to someone else comparting the same units. Even a minor increase in volume (less than we can detect with casual listening) can influence the outcome. That's why so many of us own SPL meters. It means one less variable. And it's a BIG variable even when it's small.

David
    Sure! That's why I said it was "initial impressions" and not a review. :-) I own and use SPL meter for calibration. The detail and identity of the instruments maintains the same clean characteristics throughout all the volume ranges when played through the DPR. For detailed comparison I understand the need of SPL meter. But my intention was not to writeup a detailed review and I am not qualified to do so! I think all the comments about any audio gear need to be taken with a grain of salt, including professional reviews. The only true "value" any comparison serves is just pointers. The rest needs to be done in your own setup with your ears and own tastes.

If you are in the market looking for a receiver and you come across such an insane deal ($499) grab it! If you don't like it you'll find many people ready to pay more than that to offload it from you! Just my 2 cents!