Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Finally got my Ascends

Good to hear that. I also was very impressed by the HTM-200s when a friend of mine loaned me some for a week. Am hoping to find them really cheap on audiogon because I'd just use them as surrounds and I feel silly spending $200-300 for surrounds given my usage habits.

Next time your friend makes another trip to the US, ask him to bring you the Marantz 4300 cd player from accessories4less.com --- I think you'll also be very pleased with the results.

Yes, Eddie,

I want the Marantz 4300 CDP, but I was afraid as I read some people complained about problems with these refurb units (from here, I couldn't return a faulty one...). When the opportunity comes, I'll probably pick one. At the moment, I've seen accessories4less has run out of it.

I also need to upgrade my DVDP. I'm thinking of a Poineer 588, which can be found at a reasonable price for this banana republic standards.

As to the surrounds, I needed a new pair, cause I sold my entire Polk 5.1 set. Since I got some $500 on them (plus stands), I thought it was a good idea to spend about half of that on the HTM-200, to complete the system.

But I agree that, for HT usage, surrounds can be "anything" and I was tempted to keep the new Ascends for stereo on the second system (they sounded great with the Yammie on the living room). Would need a STF-1 though...

Well since you're going to be replacing your DVDP, a safe bet for both music quality and video performance might be the Denon 2910 universal player but it's a bit pricey (around $600 I think). For that price you could buy the Pio 588 and TWO of the Marantz in case one of them is defective!

For the DVD player you might want to Google up reviews of the Oppo which I have read many good things about on these forums:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Can you get your US-based friend to order the Marantz and test it out for you in NJ?

Also, browse Audiogon.com for used Ascend 170s and 200s, I think there are some very nice deals right now probably from people who are upgrading to the SE models.

Eddie,

Actually, I could get that kind of help from my NJ based friend. However, I don't know when we'll have another chance to get together.

These new speakers were brought from a brazillian relative who went to Las Vegas, Frisco and NYC, on holidays in the new year. He spent one whole week in NYC, in an apartment, so I had an address to order Ascends.

I was also interested in the Denon 2910, but I'm afraid it might not work in Brasil (region 4) and it's too expensive to stay without warranty here. Even the Denon 1920 should be nice to me.

Then, I thought the Pio 588 (region free) could be an honest option, in a cost-benefit pov. I don't care that much about image (what if Indiana Jones or 007 faces are a little more pale or shiny...?). To me, sound is more important.

Thanks for the link. I never took the trouble to read and understand about these HDMI, DVIx, upconvert etc kinda complication. I just plug the component video from the DVDP to the tube TV. It's not the moment to buy new TVs, because they're about to define Digital TV standards for Brazil. A plasma here is too expensive (US$4.000 for 42" HDTV "ready"). When I upgrade de TV, I'd probably go to a projector, in the middle term.

That "snake oil cables" guy has offered me a Rotel RDV 1040 (which impressed me well on both sound and image) by $ 700 with full warranty (it lists for $500 in US). This is a reasonable price for Brazil market standards (after tax etc), but I feel maybe silly paying that much on a DVDP....

There's also another american acquaintance, who lives here and regularly goes to US. He's not a close friend, but might be so kind as to take the disturbance to bring me something (Marantz CDP or a DVD...).

With patience, I'll keep setting my systems up. As soon as a new opportuniy comes, I'll do something...

BTW, if you like to spend wonderful tropical holidays and come to Rio de Janeiro, we may negotiate something...

Take care.