Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Ascends

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for quality cables and use Blue Jean's component video cable in my system, but it makes me mad that snake oil salesmen make a fortune while honest audio experts are barely staying in business.
    Amen.
    Jon O.

I've been away for a while, but in fact I don't have much to add. Still did not install the definitive set up. I have been taking this time to follow David's suggestion to hear the CBMs in 2 channel, get used to its detailed sound and quality. Actually, now I can hear backing vocals and separation of instruments that I didn't before. This is good. However, the sound, though clean and correct still does not thrill me, but I'm starting to like it. I A/Bed the right channel between the 170 and the 340, just for curiosity. It looks like I prefer the tweeter of the 340. The 340 has some kind of "soul" that I don't feel in the 170. With x-over at 80 Hz, I set the speakers to OFF, to find that the sub wouldn't do maybe 5% of the job. There is almost no music down those frequencies. On the other hand, if I turn the sub volume up, the window glass start to vibrate only with the few notes played through the sub.

I'm also considering to put the new Marantz/Ascends set up in the wider living room (L shaped, 28 m2 - i/o the small 3 x 3,5m HT room.

Maybe this weekend I'll try the Ascends with the old Yamaha receiver, to do more testing. Also, will look for the stands and speaker wires.

When I have more news I'll let you know.

I've been away for a while, but in fact I don't have much to add. Still did not install the definitive set up. I have been taking this time to follow David's suggestion to hear the CBMs in 2 channel (2.1), get used to its detailed sound and quality. Actually, now I can hear backing vocals and separation of instruments that I didn't before. This is good. However, the sound, though clean and correct, still does not thrill me, but I'm starting to like it. I A/Bed the right channel between the 170 and the 340, just for curiosity. It looks like I prefer the tweeter of the 340. The 340 has some kind of "soul" that I don't feel in the 170. With x-over at 80 Hz, I set the speakers to OFF, to find that the sub wouldn't do maybe 5% of the job. There is almost no music down those frequencies. On the other hand, if I turn the sub volume up, the window glass start to vibrate only with the few notes played through the sub.

I'm also considering to put the new Marantz/Ascends set up in the wider living room (L shaped, 28 m2 - i/o the small 3 x 3,5m HT room.

Maybe this weekend I'll try the Ascends with the old Yamaha receiver, to do more testing. Also, will look for the stands and speaker wires.

When I have more news I'll let you know.

Hi guys

I found something: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/159853.html

I think it's the receiver... Can any one help?

BTW, I'm loving the CMT-340. I wish I could've brought a pair. Sometimes I put it on the right channel just to hear how great any guitar sounds...

Also found that the small room has better acoustics for the HT. Maybe that's why I had the initial impression that the old speakers were closer to the Ascends...

jorge,

hmm, weird. I certainly hope you didn't get a defective Marantz, that would be a real pain with you being outside of the US. Here's 3 things you can try:

1. what do you have the Hsu's crossover switch set at? If you are doing HT and using the LFE connection then make sure it's set to "OUT" (step 5 on page 5 of Hsu manual).

2. Also, on the Marantz what is the subwoofer level set at? Did you calibrate the subwoofer using the receiver's test tones or using a setup DVD like Avia or Digital Video Essentials (step 6 on page 5)?

3. you can also experiment by using the Hsu's high level outputs, (page 4 under Method B) with the Hsu's crossover set to "IN"---then play some 2-channel music that has lots of bass to see if it improves.

Eddie

I'm using the SW set to out. I cranked up the sw level at the Marantz, 3db above the front speakers. It sounds a little better (with either speaker sets), but I'm not fully satisfied with the sound yet.

I put the Marantz on the 5.1 Polk system (HT small room) and the Yammie on the 2.1 with the CBMs/Hsu (living room). I'm still confused on which receiver sound I prefer. It's natural that each amp behaves differently, so the calibration is important.

I'll keep fine tuning the set up. Maybe it's normal and just had never heard to the sub alone to find that it is not so important in music and only plays 10% of the lows.

I have ordered the stands for the CBMs and I will now buy the AWG 14 wires (decided for normal speaker cables US$2/m). Then I'll concentrate on reforming the bookcase where the system stays to insert the 340c and make the definitive connections between Marantz/Ascends.

Jorge,

you might want to try maybe +6db on the subwoofer output, I had to do that when I was using my Marantz 5400.

Another trick that I found really helped me a lot was turning the Hsu so that the rear port hit the wall at an angle that bounced back towards my listening position. This unfortunately does mean turning the sub around so that its backside is visible with all the controls and connections, but in my room it made a significant improvement.

As for music, yeah the sub's importance really depends on 3 things:

1. how much bass you like to hear
    2. how much bass you are getting from your gear (speakers, receiver, CD player) and room accoustics
    3. how much bass there is in the music you're listening to

When I upgraded my CD player from a Sony ES to a Marantz 4300 the increase in bass was so dramatic that I started to use my sub less and less.

btw, congrats on not falling for the fancy cables trap!

You might also want to look at one of these, just for the heck of it:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/160136.html

I'm getting crazy. I found on the AVS forum that there are other Marantz 8400 victims on the LFE issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...97#post6188597

I thought my new Ascends/Hsu deserved more than the old Yammie, but the 8400 is not up to the task...

Call the Marantz rep. I had issues with figuring out my 7200 and they were great help.

Holy sh1t! Man, I can't tell you how bad I feel for you Jorge. That is really horrible...when is your next visit to the States? You might have to go through the long and slow warranty repair process if you have a good friend in the US who'll take care of the shipping and receiving for you.

In the meantime, you might want to try this:

Run speaker wires from your Marantz's L/R speaker terminals to the Hsu's "high level inputs" and then run speaker wire from the Hsu to your L/R speakers.

That way you will at least get full bass out of your sub during 2-channel music. You will not get the same bass out of a Dolby Digital 5.1 dvd though, sorry.

And if you want a cheap replacement for your Marantz that might sound even better, check out this thread:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/160136.html
    Last edited by Eddie; 09-13-2005 at 07:45 PM.