Thread: CMT-340, Von Schweikert VR-1, and ACI Panarama

How does the VMPS compare with the ACI's?

Mike Miruski

Mike,

I really couldn't say without hearing them in at least similar environments.

-curtis

Curtis,

Thanks for answering. I understand that this was probably a tough one unless you had done some carefull comparative listening.

I am trying to make some decisions and these two are on my short list
    along with the Ascends.

Do you have any knowledge of Bay Audio?

Mike Miruski

Mike,

No knowledge of Bay Audio.

I have not been able to direct compare ACI speakers to anything. Which models are you interested in? It is my understanding that the Sapphires and Ref1's are similar...if that helps. I am hoping to demo a pair of Sapphires in a few weeks.

The ACI's and VMPS's are much more money than the Ascends....so I won't even suggest you load up the credit card and try them all at home.....although that would make for some great reading!

The one area the Ascends lose out on is bass extention. The rest needs more careful examination and is up to preferences.

-curtis

I am interested in the ACI Sapphires and the VMPS 626r. I am concerned about how much volume I can get from the VMPS ribbon. Otherwise, the ribbons seem to be a good choice for midrange. One problem is I have never heard a ribbon speaker so I am not sure if they are my taste. There is a VMPS dealer about 400 miles away, a little too far to just go listen. My main interest is movies and my listening room is about 4000 CF.

I am supposed to go to a local dealer and listen to Revel M20's and Bay Audio speakers. The M20's are more than I want to spend for this size speaker. According to the dealer Bay Audio was started by a former Boston Acoustics exec; $2200 vs $800/pr.

I have heard of the Ref1 but right now they are not my list. I don't have any reason for it other than I like to keep my lists short.

I assume you will post the results of your session with the sapphires here, I would be interested in your impression. I would be glad to do likewise with my session if you think it would be worthwhile.

Mike Miruski

Mike,

The couple of times that I heard the 626R it got plenty loud....volume was never an issue.

I sure will post my feelings about the Sapphire, but I'm still not sure when I will have them.

-curtis

Curtis,

Thanks for the info.

A VMPS dealer also said that he thought they would be loud enough but I always take dealer comments with a grain of salt.

I don't have a specific time to change speakers. When it seems right, I will do it.

Mike Miruski