Thread: Newbie looking for advice

Default Newbie looking for advice

To start, I know absolutely nothing about high end audio. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I've never dealt with high end audio before. I've been using Logitech 5.1 DTS computer speakers which sound nice, but I know that there's much, MUCH more out there. I'm looking to eventually have a full system, mainly of Ascends.

For now though, I probably can only afford a 2 channel system with the 170's. I don't have a reciever, DVD player(I use my xbox...) or anything of that sort, so I'd be buying everything.

I would be using the system for movies mainly, with music in a close second. To start, it would only be a 2 channel setup, and eventually full surround.

I'm looking to spend a max of $1000. The speakers take up a third of this. I've found the Denon 2105 for roughly $440 shipped, which seems to have gotten good reviews, and am not entirely sure what I should do about a cd/dvd player. I see a lot of recommendations for the Pioneer DV-588A. I know that's not extreme high end, but how well does that work with these speakers?

I can't afford the $1000 components that a lot of people recommend on this site. Anyone know of a good bang-for-your-buck setup to recommend? I'd like a sub too, but the HSUs look pretty expensive. I'll hold that off til later if necessary.

As I said, I know nothing about this stuff. How necessary is a pre-amp? I just want to educate myself on this stuff before I make an impulse decision to buy anything.

Thanks.

This is what I'd get in your shoes:

Ascend 170s + Hsu STF-1 sub, $646 shipped (personally I'd spend an extra $100 to get the STF-2 but if you have a small room the STF-1 should be OK)

Panasonic sa-xr55 pure digital receiver, $250 shipped from jandr.com or Harman Kardon 235 from Harman Audio on eBay (refurb with full original HK warranty), around $200-250

Pioneer 588, $130 shipped from vanns.com

The nice thing with the HK235 is that it has pre-outs so if you want to upgrade to better 2-channel sound later, you can just add a separate amp and use it as a pre-amp. Of course a separate pre-amp would likely give you the best sound improvement but you'd need to have a separate amp first, and all this would be very hard to do on your budget unless you are willing to buy vintage gear.

The pure digital receivers are the wild card; many people claim to have replaced thousand dollar separates with them, others say they're too "analytical." The JVC rx-f10 I heard was very impressive, esp. given its $200 pricepoint.

You have no need for a pre-amp if you're using a receiver. I'd stick to a dvd-p like the Pioneer 578A or the Toshiba until the high-def dvd format war settles and prices come down for high-def dvd. Your plan is good and leaves you some money for speaker stands and any wire or cables you need. I'm not familiar with the Denon 2810 does it have hdmi or firewire as a connection option?

it was the denon 2105, and i'm not quite sure what it has. i just read somebody say that it went well with the ascends, and it wasn't TOO expensive. I don't have an HDTV at the moment, and won't for a few years. I'm not worried about that now. sad thing with my plan is that i won't have surround sound for a while! i'll just have to wait and be patient.

also, what is the difference between the STF and VTF series HSU subs?

The STF is Single Tune Frequency, and the VTF is Variable Tune Frequency.

What that means is that with the VTF series, you can change the characteristics of the sub to either play a bit deeper or a bit louder. Most that I know, tune it to play deeper because the do not need the extra output.

Aside from that, the VTF's have a bit more power, and a couple of finish choices.
    -curtis

I agree with Eddie completely.

Plan on spending more of your $1000 on speakers and less on the receiver. In the grand (no pun intended) scheme of things, the speakers and their proper placement in the room are far more important than the receiver.

That said the Panasonic SA-XR55 is one of the best receivers for the buck.
    Don't be turned off by the fact that it is digital. Old school audiophiles are frightened by digital amplification, but I'd be willing to bet that at moderate, precisely matched volumes, NOBODY will be able to tell the difference. On the other hand, just about anyone can appreciate how good a nice set of speakers sounds.
    Kurt C.
    Radio Shack SPL meter, Avia HT setup disk
    DIY Absorption panels
    Athena AS-B1 fronts/surrounds
    Athena AS-C1 center
    SVS PB10 subwoofer
    Panasonic RP-56 DVD/CD player
    Yamaha RX-V650 receiver
    Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42-inch plasma

I like Eddie's and Kurt C's recommendations for universal players and receivers. As for subs, although I have no experience with them, one that keeps popping up in forums when threads talk about subs on a budget, is Dayton. Or, go with one of the Hsu STF subs. Should give you plenty of for less than a VTF.

BG makes a good point, I've heard good things about the Dayton sub and at $145 shipped it'd probably be adequate for a mainly-HT setup while freeing up funds to spend on better speakers or receiver/amp.