Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver

Thanks for the good advice.

I am now considering getting a Harmony remote + XR-55 + SPL meter as an option. That would be the path I take if I get more into this hobby, the 1015 or HK choices would be the path I take just to have the easiest setup with least headache.

More toys is always the way to go. The Harmony 659 is only 94.99 at Costco and they have a great return policy. I will take the advice and get an analog receiver from a local B&M and compare with the XR-55.

Now all I need are my Ascends. I got 340 LCR, 170 rears, and the STF-2 sub.

I will post my thoughts on the setup when I get it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by funkyflush
    Thanks for the good advice.

I am now considering getting a Harmony remote + XR-55 + SPL meter as an option. That would be the path I take if I get more into this hobby, the 1015 or HK choices would be the path I take just to have the easiest setup with least headache.

More toys is always the way to go. The Harmony 659 is only 94.99 at Costco and they have a great return policy. I will take the advice and get an analog receiver from a local B&M and compare with the XR-55.

Now all I need are my Ascends. I got 340 LCR, 170 rears, and the STF-2 sub.

I will post my thoughts on the setup when I get it.
    That sounds like a very good combination. Any Harmony will be miles better
    than any remotes that come with a receiver and as for a SPL meter, IMHO,
    is a necessity whether your receiver can do AutoSetup/RoomEQ or not.

I also got the same set of speakers (340 Front/Center + 170 Rear + STF-2),
    haven't received them yet, not sure though, I'm before our after you in the
    waiting list. For the receiver, I got a HK435 from harmanaudio (refurbished
    with full harman kardon warranty), which costed me $415 + S/H. I'm now
    having a little bit buyer's remorse...maybe I should have got the panny XR55
    instead...

Let's hope the speakers arrive soon.

Lei

Quote Originally Posted by lei@forum
    That sounds like a very good combination. Any Harmony will be miles better
    than any remotes that come with a receiver and as for a SPL meter, IMHO,
    is a necessity whether your receiver can do AutoSetup/RoomEQ or not.

I also got the same set of speakers (340 Front/Center + 170 Rear + STF-2),
    haven't received them yet, not sure though, I'm before our after you in the
    waiting list. For the receiver, I got a HK435 from harmanaudio (refurbished
    with full harman kardon warranty), which costed me $415 + S/H. I'm now
    having a little bit buyer's remorse...maybe I should have got the panny XR55
    instead...

Let's hope the speakers arrive soon.

Lei
    I pulled the trigger on the Harmony 659/XR55 combination. The Harmony remote is pretty neat. It even has codes for my fan. There is a demo from the logitech site that lets you configure all of your equipment. It has codes for the XR55 and organizes things into 'activities' The TV viewing activity will power up the tv, the xr55, set the right component, and turn on the Cable box. All with 1 button. Sounds like a winner to me.

So for $225(xr55) + $95(remote) + $40(spl meter) = $360, include the Ascend setup that we both have. It's a really nice system for under 2k. A whole system for the price of a nice analog receiver. Can't beat that.

Thanks again for the help. I hope my speakers come soon too.

Hi there,
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is the best place to be posting this question it seems.

With the 80Hz crossover being the lowest on the XR55, does that mean it will not be sending any signal below that over to the speakers, which results in the mid-low bass of the 340's (or the improved lower 340 SE's) being completely unused and wasted? or can setting the speakers to "large" as opposed to "small" help?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3
    With the 80Hz crossover being the lowest on the XR55, does that mean it will not be sending any signal below that over to the speakers, which results in the mid-low bass of the 340's (or the improved lower 340 SE's) being completely unused and wasted? or can setting the speakers to "large" as opposed to "small" help?
    The crossover is not a brick wall. It's a slope. For music and the 340's, I feel 80hz is too high so I don't use a sub. Maybe with a better sub I'd change my mind but I don't think so. That's why the new SE's appeal to me. I can get lower extension without the sub.
    I have a new sub coming next week so I'll give it a try with music.

David

In my mania to order/not order an XR-55 I'd forgotten this thread... can you post your findings with the sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Beuby
    In my mania to order/not order an XR-55 I'd forgotten this thread... can you post your findings with the sub?
    Don't waste your time on this sub.

David

Many thanks... my listening room is such that I shouldn't need a sub anyway. Now, to wait patiently for the 340SEs...

BTW, small world. I'm located in Auburn.

Bikeman... Well in a couple of days I will be able to test the "sub" (Soundcrafter) and hear how it supplements my 340SE's. I will do some minor mods , acoustical stuffing and fairing the port holes. I do not have high hopes. Lately I have been exploring some DYI prospects with the most interesting being the Rythmik Audio servo sub, thttp://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.htmhe sealed version.
    I take it that you have had no success with the Soundcrafter.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I take it that you have had no success with the Soundcrafter.
    Sound-Bridge advertised the cabinet as being much larger than it actually is. If I had known the actual size of the cabinet, I wouldn't have ordered it. I had planned to do some mods but the speaker won't come out no matter what I do so I'm just using it as is. I don't use it for music but it helps with movies. I would only recommend it to someone who dosen't have a sub and can only spend $100. dollars. I got what I paid for but not what was advertised.

David