Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    If it had pre-outs for my external amps and better bass management, that might be the case.
    You might find that you don't need the extra amps, this little thing has ungodly amounts of power.

As for bass management, if you really want it I suppose you could always get one of these:

http://www.hsustore.com/high-pass.html

Just an idea.

True, Eddie. Bikeman said this thing didn't have a "party" music mode, but after a little digging I found some info on Panasonic's web site that said it did. Actually, I'd believe Bikeman over Panny's web page, as I've seen many manufacturer sites that are out of date or have conflicting info.
    - EVH III

True, Eddie. Bikeman said this thing didn't have a "party" music mode, but after a little digging I found some info on Panasonic's web site that said it did. Actually, I'd believe Bikeman over Panny's web page, as I've seen many manufacturer sites that are out of date or have conflicting info.
    Here's the manual, Eddie. I could be wrong.
    http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR55.PDF

David

David, do you think this would make a good receiver for what I wanted to use it for?
    The 55 is an outstanding two channel receiver. I haven't used the "b" speaker setting so I can't comment on that. In two channel, you can bi-wire, bi-amp or dual amp. It's got power to spare. I also use it to listen to Internet Radio and it made a noticeable difference compared to my other receivers (Kenwood, Yamaha, JVC).
    This is the best value in a receiver I have ever come accoss in my almost four decades in and out of the audio hobby. It dosen't do everything, especially on the video side but what it does do, it does extremely well. It gets my vote.

David

Thanks, David. I'm ordering one.
    - EVH III

If it had pre-outs for my external amps and better bass management, that might be the case.
    What are you looking for in bass management? I would think setting mains to small and the crossover to 80Hz would work well? Unfortunately have no experience w/ this since I'm waiting for my Ascends to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbike
    What are you looking for in bass management? I would think setting mains to small and the crossover to 80Hz would work well? Unfortunately have no experience w/ this since I'm waiting for my Ascends to arrive.
    Actually with my 340s I would have really liked a 60Hz or even 40Hz crossover setting. Right now I have them set on "large" and they deliver wonderfully tight quick bass with the xr55 though obviously not nearly as low as I *wish.*

as for the "party" mode (called "Multi-channel" on my Marantz 5400) I have not been able to find that on the Panny either.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbike
    If the Panny had pre-outs and was going to replace my current receiver-used-as-processor, I'd prefer that it had different crossover points for each speaker set. The 340's would get 60Hz, as that's what I like best, and the 170's would get 80Hz. Since this will be for a two channel only system, with the "B" speaker inputs running some outdoor speakers for the deck, it doesn't really matter. This isn't really for critical listening, just something for upstairs and outside that gives solid performance for the buck and is fairly easy for the wife to use.
    - EVH III

If the Panny had pre-outs and was going to replace my current receiver-used-as-processor, I'd prefer that it had different crossover points for each speaker set. The 340's would get 60Hz, as that's what I like best, and the 170's would get 80Hz. Since this will be for a two channel only system, with the "B" speaker inputs running some outdoor speakers for the deck, it doesn't really matter. This isn't really for critical listening, just something for upstairs and outside that gives solid performance for the buck and is fairly easy for the wife to use.
    Thanks for the info. This is one place where I think the Panny price shows its ugly head. Although, if it was ~$300 instead of $230, I'd probably be more cautious. Perhaps sensible marketing to get a following at this price point and more features at a higher price when performance is accepted.