Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    1. Has anyone here experienced the flaky remote range/reception discussed over on AVS? The unit would be behind plexiglass (to keep my kids from pushing buttons).

2. Along those same lines, what *cannot* be done with the remote? E.g. you cannot switch to speaker B with the remote, correct? What else? I'd be using a One for All 9910, and have found an JP-1 upgrade for the XR25, so hopefully I can get most of the functions programmed.
    I still use the Dayton for movies but I'm currently running the 340's large with no sub for music. The Dayton isn't in the same class as the 340's and it shows.
    The remote is the weak point of this receiver. I have it behind a glass door and it does create a bit of a problem. The sensor is in a poor location and having the door closed has an effect. I have moved the receiver slightly to the right and back and this has helped a bit but it's still not ideal. I've learned to live with it.
    I'm using a RS (One for All) remote with a JP-1 as well. This is better than the Panasonic remote. I haven't programmed all the functions yet. I'll get around to that when the weather goes all to heck. Too many other projects going on right now.

David

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I really showed my ignorance there with my question re: pre-outs

I think I'll stick with the HK for now -- beyond the flaky EQ, it has some features I really like (such as HDCD decoding, a nice Zone 2 setup, and the potential for RS-232 control from my HTPC), and I can only imagine the digital receivers will just keep getting better and better (thanks for the article link, Curtis, the idea of a highly configurable EQ had me salivating).

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I still use the Dayton for movies but I'm currently running the 340's large with no sub for music.
    How do you switch back and forth with any degree of convenience? Or does the Panny allow a sub to be "switched off"?
    Last edited by sensibull; 09-30-2005 at 01:56 PM.

How do you switch back and forth with any degree of convenience? Or does the Panny allow a sub to be "switched off"?
    Convenience? What's dat?
    I go into the menu to shut it off. I don't watch a lotta movies so it's no big deal. To take the 340's down another octave and not compromise the sound, it takes a pretty good woof or sub woof. I'm working on it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I go into the menu to shut it off.
    Hmmm... pretty sure my HK won't even allow selection of the no sub option if one is connected (on or not). I'd have to pull the pre-out plug, load the OSD and re-config, then re-plug and repeat after each switch. And considering the weight of the HK, that's way too much exercise for me ;-)

Yes the Panny does allow you to turn off the sub, in fact it allows you to change the sub level from the doggone REMOTE which I thought was amusing considering the things you CAN'T do with the remote. Quirky, but grows on you.

I'm really thinking about buying something like this for a budget 2 channel system for the new house. My other equipment will be going downstairs in the dedicated theater. The only thing I want to run will be a pair of mains, maybe a sub, and a pair or two of outdoor speakers. Does it have a selectable "speaker a" and "speaker b" switch to accomodate two sets of speakers? If not, does it have a "party" type DSP mode which will play the same signal out of all 5 or 7 speakers?
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    Does it have a selectable "speaker a" and "speaker b" switch to accomodate two sets of speakers? If not, does it have a "party" type DSP mode which will play the same signal out of all 5 or 7 speakers?
    It will do "a" & "b" speakers but it dosen't have a "party" mode.

David

David, do you think this would make a good receiver for what I wanted to use it for?
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    I'm really thinking about buying something like this for a budget 2 channel system for the new house.
    BEWARE: you just might find yourself moving the xr55 to your MAIN system, and/or selling off your current main system receiver for a second xr55!

If it had pre-outs for my external amps and better bass management, that might be the case.
    - EVH III