Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver

It can more appropriately be called a power DAC - an integrated DAC and power amp in one stage. There is no separate DAC-only stage.
    Last edited by Abhi; 09-29-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    It can more appropriately be called a power DAC - an integrated DAC and power amp in one stage. There is no separate DAC-only stage.
    Thanks for the replys. I'm well outside my bounds of understanding. Is this ("integrated DAC") better, worse, or depends on implementation. It would seem that the fewer conversions between source and output the better. At least that's my theory for using the Digital Optical outputs on my current gear.

Default Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver THD

Guess I need some THD 101 education.

The panny lists a THD of 0.9% in "home theatre mode".
    Most HT receivers I see are about 1/10 of that, e.g.,
    the Onkyo TXSR 503 is .08%.
    I have not heard the panny, but am puzzled how it
    could spec such a high THD and still sound "better" than
    most HT receivers in its price range? Not saying it
    doesn't - as I said, I have not heard it.
    Just puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAndAnnie

The panny lists a THD of 0.9% in "home theatre mode".
    Most HT receivers I see are about 1/10 of that, e.g.,
    the Onkyo TXSR 503 is .08%.
    I have not heard the panny, but am puzzled how it
    could spec such a high THD and still sound "better" than
    most HT receivers in its price range? Not saying it
    doesn't - as I said, I have not heard it.
    Just puzzled.
    This question comes up all the time, don't know why Panasonic has not fudged their numbers just like everybody else since a signficant number of audio shoppers seem to put a lot of stock into specs.

The short answer is that anything under 10% THD is not audible to most human ears, and that while some detractors of all-digital sound might claim that it's too "cold," "analytical," or "bright," I have never seen anybody claim that it had undue DISTORTION. Astounding detail with zero distortion regardless of volume level is exactly what digital receivers are known for.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAndAnnie
    No education needed. Modern amps and receivers add so little distortion that humans can't hear it. Don't let marketing crap get in the way. Enjoy the sound and not the worthless published specs.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    The short answer is that anything under 10% THD is not audible to most human ears.
    The PC ABX testing site has examples of what different levels of THD sound like in comparison to no (added) THD. I think 10% is the 'very difficult to hear' level while 1% is the 'might be impossible to hear'. Regardless, 0.9% is below detection.

You guys have certainly caught my interest. Considering its price point, I have been very unsatisfied lately with the sound I've been getting out of my HK 635. I've run the EQ at least a dozen times, with and without my BFD in the loop, at different crossover points, and I simply can't arrive at a smooth transition or anything resembling "tight bass" with my 340s and Dayton 10". Movie performance has been a little underwhelming as well. Maybe I just don't go in for the supposed "warm" sound of the HK. Certainly the Dayton is partially to blame, but I watch too many movies to go w/o a sub.

Just read the 33-page thread on AVS last night, and at the risk of breaking all the rules of audio logic, I am considering selling off the HK and buying the Panny (and using the extra cash for some other projects), but I have a couple of lingering concerns.

1. Has anyone here experienced the flaky remote range/reception discussed over on AVS? The unit would be behind plexiglass (to keep my kids from pushing buttons).

2. Along those same lines, what *cannot* be done with the remote? E.g. you cannot switch to speaker B with the remote, correct? What else? I'd be using a One for All 9910, and have found an JP-1 upgrade for the XR25, so hopefully I can get most of the functions programmed.

3. Am I correct in understanding that it is possible to have 5.1 in the main room, with the L/R speakers bi-wired/bi-amped, and still have a Zone 2 run off Speaker B?

4. The Panny has no Pre-Outs, correct?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

sensibull,

1. N/A, since I don't have any glass enclosure
    2. The remote doesn't allow you to change connection input settings and a couple of other things, like no "Tape" selection if you're using a tape deck. Annoying but minor.
    3. not sure, I haven't tried bi-amping yet
    4. nope, no pre-outs but why would you need one anyways, would defeat the whole purpose of an all-digital receiver.

I'm a little surprised to hear that you're not happy with the HK635 but if super detail is what you want the Panny should make you very, very happy. You could put the savings of buying the Panny and reselling the HK into a second Dayton sub if you want extra bass, or just get a Hsu STF-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    sensibull,

1. N/A, since I don't have any glass enclosure
    2. The remote doesn't allow you to change connection input settings and a couple of other things, like no "Tape" selection if you're using a tape deck. Annoying but minor.
    3. not sure, I haven't tried bi-amping yet
    4. nope, no pre-outs but why would you need one anyways, would defeat the whole purpose of an all-digital receiver.

I'm a little surprised to hear that you're not happy with the HK635 but if super detail is what you want the Panny should make you very, very happy. You could put the savings of buying the Panny and reselling the HK into a second Dayton sub if you want extra bass, or just get a Hsu STF-2.
    A minor clarification. The Panny has the usual subwoofer out (I think of it as a pre-out). But I agree w/ Eddie, other pre-outs sort of defeats the purpose.

I don't think you can bi-wire and run another zone (speakers B). The bi-wire uses the B connections for the tweeters and the A connections for the woofers on your mains.

Here is an article about digital amplification that I thought was good:
    http://resmagonline.com/articles/pub...inter_73.shtml
    -curtis