Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMB-170 Audition Request in Fort Worth, TX

Default Demo

Guys,

Do you have room for one more? I was serously considering the Axioms (specifically the M22s). However the Ascend sound like they could be a real winner. Would love to hear the 340s and 170s if anyone is interested.

I like in Plano.

Thanks!

Steve

Default Small chance, but I may be in Dallas this weekend...

To those still interested in auditioning some 170s - right now, there's a small chance that I may be coming down to Dallas this weekend (Fri night->Sun afternoon). I'll know more probably by tomorrow (Thurs) night. I'd be happy to bring down a pair of 170s for y'all to hear. I wish it could be more, but having to drive down, I can only manage a pair of 170s. Let me know if you guys are still interested & I'll let you know as soon as I decide for sure.

Cliff, count me in if it works out for you. Let me know!

~Josh

Cliff,

Count me in, also.

Steve

Hey guys...I apologize but I won't be coming down to Dallas this weekend. I'm definitely going to try & make it within the next couple of months though, so I'll post again when my plans are more definite.

Cliff,

Thanks for the attempt. Please let us know the next time.

Steve

You mean you won't make the trip just for us???

Just kidding- no worries. Whenever it works for you, just let us know. I'll keep a few beverages cold for ya just in case.

~Josh

Great News!
    I can now start offering to host auditions. A pair of 170s was delivered the beginning of the week and after listening to them for a few days, I just placed my order for two 340m and a 340c. Like so many have reported here, the more I listen, the more I like.
    Anyway, the 340s should be in da house by next weekend and hopefully I'll get everything tuned and calibrated so I can have some of you over for a listen in a couple of weeks.
    BTW, for those considering the Hsu VTF-3, all I can say is velcro your knick-nacks to the shelves! After the Seige of Gondor extended scene (LOTR ROTK) I was picking ceiling texture up off my floor. Literally.
    I have it tuned for max output; I thought the max extension was just a bit too loose. I have yet to whip out the SPL meter, but I think I'm getting a peak around 50-60Hz. Where is a good place to pick up a BFD?

CraigT - thanks for the invite and I appologize for not getting back with you. That weekend turned out to be really busy for me.

Also, once I get everything setup, I'll try to find time to write a thorough review of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Great News!
    I can now start offering to host auditions. A pair of 170s was delivered the beginning of the week and after listening to them for a few days, I just placed my order for two 340m and a 340c. Like so many have reported here, the more I listen, the more I like.
    Anyway, the 340s should be in da house by next weekend and hopefully I'll get everything tuned and calibrated so I can have some of you over for a listen in a couple of weeks.
    Finally a DFW area owner of the 170s! Awesome - can't wait!

BTW, for those considering the Hsu VTF-3, all I can say is velcro your knick-nacks to the shelves! After the Seige of Gondor extended scene (LOTR ROTK) I was picking ceiling texture up off my floor. Literally.
    I have it tuned for max output; I thought the max extension was just a bit too loose. I have yet to whip out the SPL meter, but I think I'm getting a peak around 50-60Hz. Where is a good place to pick up a BFD?
    Ebay- you can get one for about $95. Or www.froogle.com will net you about the same. Either way you go watch the warranty.

Also, once I get everything setup, I'll try to find time to write a thorough review of the system.
    Looking forward to it. Frequency responses and pictures!!

What are you using to drive these?

~Josh

I'm using a Denon AVR-3300 (105W x 5) for the amp and a HTPC for all sources except FM tuner. I have the HTPC patched to the 3300 digitally via SPD/IF and analog via 6 chnl ext in. I go back and forth between the Denon and PC for pre/pro.
    Relevant specs on the HTPC are:
    Plextor 712 DVDr drive
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card
    MyHD MDP-120 HD tuner (output via DVI to Samsung HL-P4674)
    AMD Athlon 1.4GHz w/1.5GB Physical Mem
    Win XP Pro / PowerDVD XP / Windows MediaPlayer 9 / Coolplayer (mp3)
    I'm very impressed with the audio quality from the M-Audio. It's DACs are excellent and the bass managment is better than that of the Denon (let the flaming commence). I'm debating selling the Denon and getting a dedicated 5-6 chnl amp. I need to do some more critical listening with these new speakers before I make that decision though ...

Another note to those considering Ascend: The return shipping for a pair of 170s is only $16. I think that's a pretty low price to pay for being able to demo these spkrs in your own room with your own equipment at your own leisure. If you're chomping at the bit (as I was/am still) and can't get a demo soon enough, just order 'em. Chances are, once you hook em up, they'll never see the inside of another UPS truck ...
    Last edited by Trey; 08-19-2005 at 02:37 PM.