Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know if Denon plans to replace

Unless you really needed something now, I'd wait for all the HD stuff to pan-out before buying a new DVD player. But, $349's not bad, so go for it. Although I wish I had the 2910 when I was shopping, it seemed a little overprice to me. I don't know anything about the DACs, but the 1920 sounds just like the 2910 in terms of features. FYI, I tried the 1910 on my plasma, but preferred the Sony 975 over it, even despite having had to return it for the notorious tray lockup issue. Just a little sharper PQ with the Sony, IMO.
    Last edited by BGHD; 07-15-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Unless you really needed something now, I'd wait for all the HD stuff to pan-out before buying a new DVD player.

That's exactly why I was originally looking real hard at the Sammy 941 & 950 units (upconversion HDMI & universal players). I know that I will be spending some (probably more than WAF allows) on BD and/or HD-DVD. But, I also am having a hard time waiting for that issue to work itself out.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Yup, getting something decent but not high-end is probably the way to go right now. $349 would probably be the upper limit I'd pay for a DVD player now.

I agree, it's going to be awhile before they settle on one standard.

I'm also looking for a DVD player in the $300-$400 price range. The Denon 1920 looks interesting. I like the Denon's, but they're a bit pricey. I've also read some good things about the Panasonic S97S. Anyone have any experience with it? Can't find anywhere that has it in stock though.

All I know is the S97 is highly regarded in AVS. Apparently any macroblocking issues have been fixed w/ FW updates. And, it's supposed to match well with their line of digi amps (e.g. XRxx), mainly because it can send DVDA via HDMI (may need to verify this though). Aside from maybe the new Denon, it'd probably be the one I'd get in your price range. The Denon is more 'universal' though (DVDA and SACD).