Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade path to seperates

Are doing this for music or HT purposes ?

ron,

Good question. This is mainly for music purposes right now. So you will probably say to go with the two-channel amp now, and then buy a multi-channel amp when I go with a dedicated pre/pro? How important do you think it would be to have a matching multichannel amp when the time comes?

-curtis

Tricky question. To my ears, preamps made more of a sound difference than power amps (assuming adequate power).

Right now you have a nice balanced system (sound quality wise) with your Ascends and HK receiver. If you upgrade to good separates, your Ascends may become a weak point. If you upgrade to lower end separates you may not notice a change over your HK. What's the ultimate goal ?

Ultimate goal? Does it ever really end? Well, at whatever pace, to constantly upgrade the sound of my system.

-curtis

I would get the best 2 channel amp my $1,000 could buy. I don't think I could handle spending $1,000 on a 5 channel and then discover I can't hear a difference.

Thanks....that's what I was thinking too. Any suggestions on what to look for in the used market?

-curtis

Don't know diddly about the used market, but I would start w/ solid state and big mfr. warranty.

If I list some amps, would you kind enough to give some opinions?

-curtis

I'm not an expert. It's been a while since I was in the market for audiophile equipment. But I would be interested to see what you are considering.

Thanks for asking this question Curtis. I've been thinking about the same thing with the Rotel RMB-1075 being my main consideration for upgrade paired with my Onkyo TX-SR700. I actually bothered Ascend directly with my inquiry and David Fabrikant was kind enough to reply that the Rotel would be his choice at the $1,000 price point. I'd like to hear what others with the Ascends might recommend. I'm not sure if my ears will hear the improvement, but I think it makes the most sense for the next step toward mid-fi. I'm concerned that if my sound equipment budget were to increase in the future that I will outgrow the 120 wpc of the RBM-1075 making it a poor upgrade choice.