Thread: 3" woofers go down to 30Hz??

Default 3" woofers go down to 30Hz??

I was out the other day and saw a flyer with a speaker on it. Naturally, I read the flyer. There's a local company here called Digital Phase. I was unaware of this company.

I found their website and was kind of surprised at their audible response claims.

"audible fundamental output at 30Hz...with a pair of 3" woofers, such performance is nothing less than amazing!"

http://www.digitalp.com/ap7cc.htm

Anyone ever heard of "acousta-reed" technology, or something similar w/o that specific terminology?

As with anything, there are going to be trade-offs. I didn't read Hirsch's (RIP) article. Maybe I'll glance at it when I get home.

David

My Def Tech speakers that were moved to rear surround duty when I bought my Ascend 340's claimed to go down to 25 Hz with 5.5" drivers. What they didn't say was that they were about -30 Db at 25 Hz. The -3 Db point was probably closer to 60 Hz.

You can make specs say just about anything if you don't provide any point of reference.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

agree. their graph is way down as well. just thought i'd share what i saw. i guess that defines audible, fundamental output.

When I said "you" I was referring to speaker companies and not you metalaaron. Was that confusing enough? I still have residual anger at Definitive Tech over their phony specs.

Sorry if it sounded like I was taking a shot at you. I was aiming "the shot" squarely at Def Tech.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

oh, it didn't sound like that. i didn't take it that way. i knew what ya' meant. no worries.

I always thought the lowest a 4" driver could go was 80hz (see the HTM-200)... but now that I think about it, the B*SE 901s have used an array of tiny drivers for decades now, and they go pretty low.

So, I guess small drivers can go low, you just need a lot of them for any kind of dynamic output... also, don't the 901's need some kind of equalizer box to work correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    also, don't the 901's need some kind of equalizer box to work correctly?
    They need a large sledge hammer to "work correctly." I bought 901's in the early 70's. I was young and a very admirable sales job was done on me at the time. I believe I've learned a bit over the years. That's how I got here.

David