Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with room treatments

Default Getting started with room treatments

Ok, I ordered my speakers and now I want to test my room to see what I can do to improve the acoustics. I am a beginner and don't know what equipment I need. Based on what I've read in other posts, my goal is to get a flat response across the spectrum for best sound. Can anyone give me tips or web site links to get me started? Also, what do I need to do the sound testing?

Here's a couple of good web site to get you started. www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
    www.tmlaboratories.com
    - EVH III

OK, after reading the websites of Ethan Weiner, Terry Montlick and a bunch of others, I'm convinced that I need a minimum of 2-inch thick fiberglass or acoustic cotton panels at the sites of first relection on my walls and ceiling.

I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive place to order several sound absorbing panels. (No, I can't take any of the DIY options because I have no power tools and prefer not to get fiberglass fibers all over my house)

The most reasonable source I've found, about $60 for each panel plus $$$ for shipping something so bulky is:

Fabric-wrapped fiberglass panels

Thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have done business with Sensible Sound Solutions and I'm currently working on doing treatments in my own room.

Another option is Gik - http://www.gikacoustics.com who sells 2" and 4" thick mineral wool panels. They have pretty good prices and a flat shipping rate listed with each product. Their 2" panels work out to about $56 each including shipping (they come in 3-packs). (~$70/ea for 4" panels in two-packs)

I know the guy who runs sensible sound solutions and he is super nice and incredibly knowledgeable. He came out to my house and helped me with my room acoustics. I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Cheers,

JR

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as shipping goes, the pre-finished panels in a 2x4x2" size can be shipped up to 6 in a single box. Shipping in the lower 48 is $25.

Bryan
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

www.sensiblesoundsolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by bpape
    Thanks for the kind words.
    No problem. And just in case you were wondering, I haven't forgotten about you. I just don't have the time or cash for bass traps right now.

BTW, when are you going to get some Ascend speakers?

For those of you who didn't know, Bryan helped me tweak my setup and place some acoustic panels and he enjoyed listening to the Ascend CBM-170s.

I was very surprised by them. They blended very nicely with the sub and did a nice job in nearfield listening but still threw a nice relatively large soundstage. I'd love to hear them with some breathing room sometime. Maybe the next meet we have, you can bring them over and I'll put them up on stands in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by bpape
    Maybe the next meet we have, you can bring them over and I'll put them up on stands in my room.
    That's cool with me, I always enjoy getting together with other enthusiasts. Is there another meet already in the works? I don't spend very much time on avs anymore.

Not finalized just yet. Been haning with the guys from AudioCircle here in STL. Might do something at my house with the AVS crowd and them - like a BBQ.

I'll let you know.

Bryan