Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a stage on the Tour De France today.

Default What a stage on the Tour De France today.

First big mountain stage and Lance and and a couple of others blew up the field as a whole. Is Rasmussen the only contender left? Today was the first time on this tour Lance challenged Rasmussen on a climb. Basso is nearly 3 minutes behind, Ullrich and Kloden are over 4 minutes back, and Vinokourov is 6 and a half back minutes back.

There are still 5 mountain stages to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    First big mountain stage and Lance and and a couple of others blew up the field as a whole. Is Rasmussen the only contender left? Today was the first time on this tour Lance challenged Rasmussen on a climb. Basso is nearly 3 minutes behind, Ullrich and Kloden are over 4 minutes back, and Vinokourov is 6 and a half back minutes back.
    There are still 5 mountain stages to go.
    Rasmussen isn't a contender. He can't time trial and he's never been consistent in the high mountains. This is shaping up to be another parade around France by the Discovery Team. I'd like to be wrong about that. I rather see biking racing than another Lance-a-thon.

David

I watched this morning as well....great stuff. I have been recording every stage.

After watching some of the pre-race shows, learning more about bicycle racing, the work that goes into it, and the technology, I appreciate it more than before.

Even more so, the will to win and the ability to use it will and drop your rivals.

Although DavidB, you probably have much more knowledge and better understanding of the sport since it is what you do.

I don't mind seeing Lance Armstrong win again....especially knowing that it is his last race.

Incidently, as far as teams go, Team Discovery is in 4th place as a whole.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Incidently, as far as teams go, Team Discovery is in 4th place as a whole.
    Discovery has no interest in the team competition. They have one goal at the expense of all others. And for the 7th year in a row they will, barring an unforseen incident, achieve that goal. Impressive. Boring from a bicycle racing standpoint but impressive nonetheless.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Discovery has no interest in the team competition. They have one goal at the expense of all others. And for the 7th year in a row they will, barring an unforseen incident, achieve that goal. Impressive. Boring from a bicycle racing standpoint but impressive nonetheless.

David
    Do you really think it is that much of a "sure thing"?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Do you really think it is that much of a "sure thing"?
    I do. Lance could have a bad day and still pull it off. I'm glad he's retiring. It'll make the Tour as interesting as the Giro (Italy) and the Vuelta (Spain). These generally aren't decided until the very end.

David

nuts...that makes it a little less interesting for me now.
    -curtis

I agree with David. Unless something big happens Lance put away the race today. I told my wife on Saturday that Team Discovery's preformance that day could well be a trick by Bruyneel(Discovery team manager) and Armstrong to get the other teams to do the work and tire them out. They've tricked the competion before. It seemed like a good place to give Team Discovery a little extra rest before the rest day and the real mountain stages. I enjoy watching Lance dominate and will continue watching. Look for Lance to be sipping champagne as he rides down the Champs-Elysees a week from Sunday.

Here is to number 7!

it's pretty remarkable. these guys are like machines. i could only imagine obtaining the level of physical shape they are in. i wonder what their practice regimens are like.

Quote Originally Posted by metalaaron
    ...i wonder what their practice regimens are like.
    If you can try to catch the "Science of Lance" on Discovery HD Theater. There's also another show, I believe it's "Chasing #7" or something like that, also on Discovery HD. Both are completely amazing!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?