Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need opinion on sub with 340m

Let me jump in this thread, since I saw you talking about Hsu subs.

I'm also about to place the order for a set of Ascend speakers and can't decide on the STF-1 or STF-2 to include in the package.

I use 60/40 dvd concerts and movies, in a small room (3 x 3.5 m x 3m ceiling). Receiver will be Marantz 8400 with 340center ans 170 fronts. Small Polk satellites surround.

For the space, the STF-1 is more than enough, however I wonder why such a respectable sub cannot go deeper than 31,5Hz without fainting. Even the lower end B&W ASM-300 goes down to 27 HZ with =/- 3dB, acc to the specs... . Of course, I know there are physical limitations to produce low sound, but I like bass and I listen to rock concerts.

Then my question is: what do I lose between 32 HZ (STF-1 low end at =/- 3dB) and 25 HZ (lowest of STF-2).?

The human ear feels down to 20 Hz. It's not that the sub doesn't go lower than the specified limits, but it probably goes with less power and more distortion, then you feel a gap in the lower extreme. Or not?

Probably, 99% of the pop/rock music is above 30Hz. However, there is the sub-harmonics thing, and much more complications than our vain philosophy can imagine. Can anyone hold for that?

Maybe few instruments, but tube organs, would go below 30 HZ. I found the 5-string bass guitar lower note is at about 30HZ while the lower note of the 4-string instrument is at 40HZ. BTW, I play a little bass..

Below 30HZ, we lose the bottom end of the low frequency effects, present mostly in action movies. Below 20Hz you might only feel some body vibrations (also in movies) but normally one will not hear any sound.

As I'm upgrading from a low end Polk sub (8" / 50W) the STF-1 will be a huge step forward. And as I live outside US and will bring the speaker set as plane luggage, the smaller the better. But I don't want to regret it later and miss something in music and movies.

Then, what do I pick: STF-1 or STF-2?

Thanks for helping in this hamletian question. I must decide quickly.
    Jorge

Many of us, once we hear and feel deep base, it makes the sub we have just another step along the way. Nicholas is our resident poster child on this matter.
    Iwould get the 2, no question. No such thing as too much quality bass.

David

Default Improve your acoustics

For info to improve your room acoustics, I recommend going to avsforum.com and doing a search using "room treatments". These are what you need, and this is where your information should come from. I added a few and I noticed a difference.

leonp