Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you plan to upgrade to from Ascends?

I don't have Dave's stuff yet, maybe when you upgrade I'll be able to get my hands on some 340s at a nice price! I have a question. Let's say Dave has a full range in the workings, like everyone of you assumes. What would be your expectations from his eventual fullrange? I understand that bookshelves have some advantages over floorstands (imaging? maybe someone could explain), so where would you want to see his full ranges better the competition?
    Virgil.
    Last edited by mv1612; 07-09-2005 at 02:37 PM.

In general, bookshelves have an advantage in imaging because the front baffles are smaller causing less reflection. Also in general, mids are cleaner in a bookshelf because the drivers do not have to also work on creating bass.

That said, there are full range speakers that are excellent in both.

As for what would expect from Ascend.....Regardless of the type of speaker, I expect excellent(Ascend) sound quality for less than the competition.... internet direct as well as traditional retail.

I don't expect to have the thousands in disposable income that I see with a lot of other people in this hobby, but I know that as long as Ascend is around, and I budget reasonably, I will always have great sound at home.
    -curtis

I am glad to see Dave F list something he would upgrade to. Some forums try to make you think theirs is the end all be all. Just a testament to the sanity and down to earth atmosphere on this forum. This is a positive factor in my purchasing considerations.

Lightbulb

I'm hoping that Dave's next release is a modified TP-24 stand with a woofer installed that will bring the 340M into full-range mode without a dedicated sub being required!
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    I'm hoping that Dave's next release is a modified TP-24 stand with a woofer installed that will bring the 340M into full-range mode without a dedicated sub being required!
    I doubt it but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I doubt it but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

David
    Hi David,

I am curious about this... What would you be willing to pay for such a product if it were not powered?

Let's assume that the addition of the bass modules would bring the 340 mains to at least $800 for a full range floor stander.. Not bad at all... Sorry, just thinking aloud
    Last edited by davef; 07-11-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Great...force me to re-arrange my livingroom and buy new furniture.

But $800 for a fullrange "340" sounds like the proper price-point for the Ascend value. But my guess is that instead of a bass module for the 340, an actual from the ground up floorstander might fair better. Just thinking out loud here too.
    -curtis

If we are buying stands to begin with and you can deliver them as bass stands for an extra $150. I'd think they would sell. What would it take to power them? An external crossover? Separate amp?

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi David,

I am curious about this... What would you be willing to pay for such a product if it were not powered?

Let's assume that the addition of the bass modules would bring the 340 mains to at least $800 for a full range floor stander.. Not bad at all... Sorry, just thinking aloud
    My credit card is twitching. A powered module would be my preference but I'd be fine with unpowered. I might have to add an external amp but that's doable.
    I can't see where this approach would add much for movies but for music, it might be just the ticket. I listen to a lot more music since I got my 340's so something that would add to that experience is almost too good NOT to explore.

David

I guess the bass-stand concept is confusing to me. Isn't it an advantage being able to locate the sub-bass generating portion of our systems separate from the speaker themselves??... or are we talking about something different here. I mean, how often does the optimal location for a sub just happen to coincide with the exact location of the mains??

Randy