Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you plan to upgrade to from Ascends?

I'm with Curtis. It would take a good bit of money to get an improvement worth it over my 340s. We heard a pair $5K speakers at the Austin GTG that the 170s had better mids than. I too am waiting to see what Dave gives us next.

The Josephs look interesting, but at 83db sensitivity, you'd need some decent power behind them.

I have heard Dave speak highly of the TAD before and I'm interested in hearing them. Perhaps next year I'll head out to CES.

Clutch: I think you hit on perhaps the most logical upgrade from the Ascends, although I haven't heard them, so I don't know if the performance increase is worth the price difference. There are also a LOT of options in the $1500/pair range of the 150.

If I had the cash, it'd be an Anthem D1 with M&K's active THX Ultra2 speakers x 7 and a couple of Mark Seaton and Tom Danley's new PB-12 "Tower of Power" subs. I also will probably try my hand at building a pair of Adire's new LCR once our move is completed in September and I have a shop to work in. If they sound great, then I'd like to build more. As for my dream setup, well, unless I also get that money tree it won't happen anytime soon. My Ascends leave very little to be desired and I'd have to spend a LOT more to justify upgrading to anything.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchBrake
    On a completely unrelated note... I had a dream last night that I went to a conference to hear davef speak. When it was over I tried to make my way to him to shake his hand and tell him how much I loved my speakers. However, the Ascend folks had James intercept me and wouldn't let me get near Dave. I must be on some sort of watch list or something!
    Hey Clutch... Don't know what to say or even what to think about this, maybe you should see a professional Tell you what, come visit our new office and I promise you can shake my hand

All I will say at this time regarding something new is that I have indeed been quite busy and that I plan to once again create quite a stir..... and that is all I will and can say right now.... Absolutely no time frame (because I honestly don't know right now)...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Good to hear, Dave. Count me in on whatever it is whenever you can.
    - EVH III

I look forward to something new as well. I'll put my money on a flagship floorstander ($1-1.5k/pair range).

Hmmmm, wonder what Dave has in store for us. Floor-standers with Ascend sound and choice of finishes....Drool! On another note, have you guys heard Odyssey Audio products. I recall thinking that they had great sound at the HE2003 show in SF. To me it was a very impressive demo. I think it was the Nightingale speakers with one of their amps.

waiting for the new Ascend toys......
    Ajay

Paradigm Signature S2s, perhaps when I find a group at a great price in the used market. Perfectly happy with my 170s right now though. As others have said, if you like their neutral quality and don't need polished rosewood, you can't beat the performance/value.

I've been very happy with my setup for 2 years now, only new thing I bought was a smaller DVD player, changer was just taking up to much room. But if I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and a dedicated room, I'd look at getting some Mackie HR824's and a pre/pro with balanced connections. http://www.studica.com/products/prod...roductid=11198

Talking

I just got my Ascends a couple of months ago, it was my upgrade!

Next upgrade will be to a Hi-Def capable TV. Probably in a year or two.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC