Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you plan to upgrade to from Ascends?

Default What do you plan to upgrade to from Ascends?

Hello all,

Just as the title says.....What will you upgrade to from your Ascends? For me, I think it will be the new Sapphire XLs from ACI. These have been getting rave reviews and are considered to be excellent for the money. Yes, at $1500 a pair, it is 5X the price of the CBM170s. Guess you need to spend that kind of money to really upgrade from the Ascends.

Cheers,
    Ajay

I am happy with what I have. If I "upgrade", I would want the performance/cost ratio to be like what Ascend has given to us.

I have heard the older Sapphire, and while a great speaker, I could not justify the cost to myself when compared to the 340. The XL is getting great press from the non-professional online community, and Mike Dzurko is a class act, but even the jump from CMT-340's to the XL's is three times the cost. I would probably look for an intermediary step as far as costs are concerned.
    -curtis

hit the nail on the head for price/performance.

highly recommend you also check out Merlin speakers if you're wanting to enter a different price bracket.

Talking

Hey Curtis,

What would your intermediary step be? What, if anything has wowed you and is currently the object of your speaker lust.

Honestly? Nothing....which is why I am very happy. There isn't another speaker right now that I want to spend my money on...nothing comes close IMO for sound quality vs value. That isn't saying that Ascends are the best, but it is saying that I think Ascends are the best for the money(per dollar)......especially mine.

Now, if my money grew on trees in my backyard, I would like to have a set of TAD Home Audio speakers I heard at CES.
    http://tadhomeaudio.com/home.html
    -curtis

Hey Curtis,

Would have to agree with you on that one... If money grew on trees in my yard I too would own a set of the TADs... Call me crazy but I actually think these speakers are WORTH the insane price...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AjayRav
    Hello all,

Just as the title says.....What will you upgrade to from your Ascends?

Cheers,
    Ajay
    I'd upgrade to whatever Dave F. has on the drawing board. Of course I have no idea what it is but based on past performance, it has a excellent chance of getting my attention. I can be patient occasionally.

David

Ooooh, forgot to add a little disclaimer. I haven't HEARD the Sapphire XLs yet (or seen one in person). So my current lust could very well change when reality smacks me in the face! Hmm, I do wonder what Dave F has in store for us!!! It is bound to be good.

Ajay

Put me in the camp that hopes davef has something special on the drawing board long term. My next house will be a step up and though I love them immensely my 5x340 setup isn't going to cut it.

I'd probably go with M&K S-150s. I'm very fond of the sound. To me they are the natural progression up from the 340s.

Though I'm sure folks here will be skeptical I'm curious to see what SVS offers when Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofers becomes Stimpson Vodhanel Sound. My guess is they could very likely fill the gap between the 340s and the 150s.

On a completely unrelated note... I had a dream last night that I went to a conference to hear davef speak. When it was over I tried to make my way to him to shake his hand and tell him how much I loved my speakers. However, the Ascend folks had James intercept me and wouldn't let me get near Dave. I must be on some sort of watch list or something!

If I have the money, I would buy the Joseph Audio RM33si Reference Standard. I haven't listened to the TAD but I think these speakers can beat out the top of the line B&W for a fraction of the B&W's cost.