Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HTM-200s (x5) Calibration ?

Quite an exercise, Jeff. And quite an improvement.
    I'm glad to see you have gotten the sound to a place where you are satisfied.
    Congrats.

I don't know about how EQ'ing the 200's and boosting the region (90-125hz) will effect the speakers, detrimental or not... but I doubt it would have much of an effect on the vocal range or dialogue of movies. (Not even sure if you were asking about that)

While I have NO experience here, my concern would be that because the dip is caused by cancellations and not the speakers inability of producing those frequencies, EQ'ing would not actually be able to solve the problem. I would be hesitant to increase those frequencies because they would still cancel themselves out regardless of the increase. I am also assuming that the measurements were taken from one spot (the sweet spot?), if so, these frequencies (as are many of mine) might actually be much higher... or lower... at other points in your room, and any EQ at those points could cause the sound at those places to be seriously imbalanced.

Of course, that's just a guess...

Either way... good luck there, and I hope someone can answer the question you specifically asked.

cheers!

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Quote Originally Posted by shane55
    .......EQ'ing would not actually be able to solve the problem. I would be hesitant to increase those frequencies because they would still cancel themselves out regardless of the increase......
    cheers!

shane
    I was thinking the same thing, but thought I'd throw it out there. Of course, I could try some other radical placement of the mains , but will leave well enough alone.

Default Why Dave F. is THE MAN...

Well, it's been a while. I've been experimenting with speaker and sub placement since my last "final" placement . I have also been corresponding with Dave via email about optimizing my HTM200s and he has been more than gracious in sharing his expertise with me. Dave's suggestions have helped to resolve an approximate 10dB dip in the 100-125Hz region without the addition of any hardware or room treatments. He has also shared his insights into human hearing and how sound is perceived by the brain. Pretty amazing stuff.

If there is anyone who knows their product, it's Dave. The proof is here-

As you can see, the region in question has been smoothed out nicely. You can also see a null at 90Hz, but this is remedied by phase adjustment at the sub. I can adjust phase and have a null at 65Hz or cure the 65 and get one at 90 (we all have a null, dont we?).

My speaker placement may be unconventional, but then so is the room they are used in.

Dave has certainly helped me achieve the best out of less than ideal circustances. Amazing.

Thank you Dave.

Well congrats on that, Jeff.
    Yes, Dave IS the man.

So... what exactly did he recommend for you to do?

Cheers!

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

If anyone remembers, my speakers were at each side of the TV which had its own set of issues.

I saw in different thread Dave mention that mounting the HTMs closer to the ceiling should help out in 90-125Hz region. Well I did that, resulting in approx. 10dB gain at 100Hz, but 110 and 125 remained unchanged. Then Dave suggested I rotate the speakers so that the woofs are closest to wall and tweets are on the inside. WHAT!! ARE YOU INSANE MAN!!??? I would have never tried this on my own. I would've thought a waste of time, nobody does that!

Obvously the results speak for themselves. I really don't notice any deficits by having the tweets on the inside. By having about 10 feet between the mains instead of 4½ the soundstage is much broader.

Unconventional advice for unconventional placement resulted in big performance boost. 3x 10dB dip now gone!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD2
    Then Dave suggested I rotate the speakers so that the woofs are closest to wall and tweets are on the inside. WHAT!! ARE YOU INSANE MAN!!??? I would have never tried this on my own. I would've thought a waste of time, nobody does that!!
    That is how I set up my 200s. But I was thinking tweeter reflection off wall was bad not woofer nearer to wall reinforces bass.

I would imagine its the same principal as with subwoofers, closer to a wall or in a corner yields more bass.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks!!! I am happy that I was able to assist you in obtaining a smoother response in your somewhat *acoustically handicapped* room.

It was challenging for me as well.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com