Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand new 170s - Comparison - Admittedly Not Much Compeition YET

Sold on ebay tonight (6-27-05)

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Bookshelf speakers - mint NR
    Final price: $282.00

Certainly seem to hold their value pretty well.

If it was $282 plus shipping...I think I would have went for a new pair.
    -curtis

It was plus shipping. ups or fed ex.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5783782586
    Last edited by donkelly; 06-27-2005 at 07:09 PM.

were you buying or selling?
    -curtis

neither buyer nor seller, really

I just bought some for $250 from a local guy and then I finally saw this listing pop up on ebay - so I bid $150. My thinking: if no one else saw them - what a great price! I could resell them on audiogon or have four 170s for my stereo if I liked them better than the Axiom M22s I have.

But, I was pretty certain someone else would outbid me. I just wanted to see the final price to compare with the deal I got.

Sometimes things that are good get sold for too much on ebay I think.

Smile

OK guys,

Enough with talking about buying Ascends on eBay. I ordered the rears (CBM -170s) and a 340c center as I think that Johnny is right for now. These will sound great and I can either go to 7.1 when I get a new HDTV or I can sell one set of 170s and buy 340s for fronts.

Now to get back on topic, I've had the Ascends for about 2 weeks now. I've played 2 channel music, PLII music, HT in several different modes and they are just incredibly clean and neutral. I am getting excited about the 340c and the two new fronts and I will move my old Rock Solids and old receiver down stairs for 2 channel duty. The BA rears and Polk center will go on eBay to make somebody else happy, crazy or whatever.

I cannot imagine the improvement in my sound for the cost of a refurbished Denon 3803 and 2 new speakers. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE REST!!!!

Default Act II

OK,

I have now had the (4) 170s and the 340C for about a month. These speakers are fantastic. The sound quality is tremendous and I recently had a chance to A/B them against a very good, similarly priced set of speakers from a new manufacturer here in Washington State. The Ascends more than held their own and I decided to keep the set.

Moreover, I recently added a Denon 2200 universal DVD, SACD, DVD-A player and the sound quality on CDs and DVDs improved again. The soundstaging and fullness of the music is incredible and I haven't even added analog connections yet to go with my digital Coax cable. I'll probably do that tonight.

Anyway, Ascend, David and James, all I can say is "WOW". These speakers are incredible at this price point and they hold their own against speakers costing 2-3 times as much. I just wish that I could give you an audio comparison of the before and after on this system with these speakers.

My wife does not believe that there's a movie theater in town that has sound as good as she gets at home. All of this and I haven't balanced the system, yet or figured out exactly how I want my rears to face to get the best HT sound effects. If anyone in the Spokane area ever wants to hear the Ascends, email and I'll arrange a listen. Thanks guys, Dave