Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new 170s - Comparison - Admittedly Not Much Compeition YET

Don,

We went from the old Denon with 85 wpc on the front and 25 or 35 wpc on the other 5.1 HT speakers. I had the thing so rear-biased it was pitiful and the rears were still almost invisible on any 5 channel music or HT. I was hooking up the new Denon and having trouble with the video but running the 5.1 sound with the old speakers and my wife walked in, sat down and said, "you're keeping that thing." I told her if the video was really a problem, then it was going back. Fortunately, new connectors cured the video. I thiink at that point, I could have sold her on a new Denon 3805 BUT I doubt the additional 10 wpc would be worth it, especially after hearing the new speakers. So, I know your pain.

I paid $440 for a Denon 2805 online - sold it because i won and set up the 3803 and Art, Edster and others recommended the 3803 over the 2805 it 100wpc - true watts though

I paid 450, including shipping for the used 3803 - 110 wpc;
    I think a b stock 3805 could be had for around $600 - 120 wpc.

yikes

Maybe I should be happy with my onkyo. It was recommended as being fine for a $150 (reconditioned) receiver. About $300 new.

Wattage is supposed to be 80 watts per channel stereo I think, and 50w in 5.1 or 6.1 if I remember correctly. 0.08 thd I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dakulis
    Don,

I posted something similar in my thread on Ascends, Axioms, Paradigms, etc. and I thought about sticking it in yours as well BUT I hate to overkill the subject. I'm really hung up on whether to get the 340s and use them as rears for the time being or just stick with the 170s all around and the 340c center. I'm waiting for some feedback BUT I've decided to pull the trigger and just go with Ascends all around.

I started this whole experience with upgrading my receiver from a 12-15 year old Denon to a used Denon 3803, figured it had most of what was in the 3905 and the uplink video for almost half of a new or B stock Denon 3805. We were so impressed with the immediate improvement in sound and Art suggested upgrading speakers as further improvement. So, here I am and I'm ready to take the next step, SOON!!!! We'll see whether anyone here has the answer AND, if not, I'll probably just buy the 170s and 340c and I suspect I'll be very happy with that BUT I thought if the 340s are a huge improvement - I can afford them now and I get the package discount on top of it, even it they sit in the rear for a year or so, WHY NOT DO IT NOW? (I'm still waiting for someone who's tried it, liked it, hated it, recommends it, won't recommend it, etc. and why?)
    This is a tough call. I'll let others talk about the differences between the 170 and 340, but I think having the 340's as rears with 170 mains is overkill. Now if you knew you would be able to switch em in the near future (couple months), I would say go for it. But it sounds like that could be some time to come.

Don,

I had an Onkyo before the last Denon and I thought it was a very serviceable receiver. I do believe that Onkyo, Pioneer and some others are fairly "liberal" in rating their receivers' power. I think that Denon, Marantz and most of the mid to upper level separates are much better in giving you actual wpc.

I think you would notice a difference with the 3803, but frankly, I can't tell you how much unless you A/Bed the two next to each other. I think good speakers is a better "upgrade" after you've got a pretty decent receiver or amp. I'm sure that in the next two years, I'll pick up an amp to drive my fronts, that's another reason I'm considering the 340s. BUT, I almost convinced just to save some cash and go with 170s around. I went back and read one of Edster's comments on the 170s sound and I think that they'll work just fine.

Moreover, Johnny kind of makes an important point that they will likely overpower the 170 fronts and I really am looking to match up the system. I'm waiting to hear from Dave F. and see what he thinks. thanks, Dave.

I am still off topic but here are the measurements for my onkyo from sound and vision magazine:

ONKYO TX-SR501
    Mfgr Claims: 65w x 6 0.08%
    Actual measurements: watts=47 thd=0.06/0.06% 4 ohms, Noise=-70.8 dB

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

So I guess I actually have 47 watts per channel.

DENON AVR-3801
    Mfgr: 105w x7 0.05%
    Actual: 92w (85x6) 0.039% -75.0 dB

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Don,

It means your receiver has approximately 25% less power than Onkyo says BUT your THD is actually better. (My original math was a little off - "Math is hard" says Barbie.) So, you have pretty darn clear power, which was consistent with my opinion of my old Onkyo.

I'm not a huge fan of power for power's sake. I'll take clean power with little distortion and give up some wpc BUT I think that many of the mid to upper end manufacturers are doing a better job generally of providing cleaner power.

What did they have to say about the 3803, 3805 and 2805? Since I'm staying off topic here - it's my string, right?

P.S. - I looked and they didn't say anything about them as the reviews are too old.
    Last edited by dakulis; 06-27-2005 at 02:49 PM.

So, in my small room, my weak but clean receiver is ok?

Thanks

Don

My apologies to the millions reading this thread and now restless by my off topic-ness on someone else's thread!
    Last edited by donkelly; 06-27-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donkelly
    So, in my small room, my weak but clean receiver is ok?

More than OK. I have an Onkyo Stereo receiver (8011) in my study that's rated at 40 watts per channel. I can't come close to maxing it out (clipping).

David

Don and David,

I'm with David on this one. I'll take the clean power. I don't think I've ever listened to a receiver, including my old Onkyo at full out power. Of course, the speakers I could afford then would have exploded probably if I had.

Quote Originally Posted by dakulis
    Moreover, Johnny kind of makes an important point that they will likely overpower the 170 fronts and I really am looking to match up the system. I'm waiting to hear from Dave F. and see what he thinks. thanks, Dave.
    I did not mean the 340's would overpower the 170's. Properly calibrated, the 340's should work well as surrounds. Maybe it is my frugal nature, I just would not pay the extra for the 340's to only be used as surrounds in a system with 170's as mains. If or when you have the room for 340 mains, buy em and sell off the 170's (they seem to hold their value well) or move em to the back for 7.1.
    Last edited by JohnnyCasaba; 06-27-2005 at 05:08 PM.