Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Popping sound

I think it has more to do with how well/cleanly the satellite/cable box can switch between signals, as well as how well the receiver can switch between streams.

Does that make sense?
    -curtis

I've never encountered a click or pop in my system while switching from anything. Do you have a dedicated, properly grounded circuit supplying power to your HT? Might be worth looking into.

Jeff

my friend had an intermittent ticking/popping over his digital cable on several channels. we tried all sorts of stuff to get it to stop except for praying. he had the cable company come out, and they were able to clean up his line a little bit. he said the popping decreased significantly, and i did not notice it last time i was over there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeQ
    only while watching TV/Movie on HBO. I am using one of those Marantz 8400's...hope that it is not the issue...that could be expensive....

Maybe it is just not set up correctly...?
    If you have a cable box, the cable wire coming into your house must be grounded seperately. I had a grounding clamp break (didn't have HT system then). Called the cable company and they came out and replaced it**. If you're in an apartment complex, ask neighbors if they hear the pop when switching.

**Them: "do you think it's important?' Me: "I don't care, it's your equipment."
    They were there the next day.

ok this sounds promising...

so are you saying they will have to replace the cable to the house. It is burried and that would make a mess.

OR are you saying they need to ground the cable?

Mine is grounded where the wire comes into the house to the actual copper strand (this is the one driven into the earth around the foundation) for the main panel. The main panel ground is also connected to the plumbing which is code around here. You can ground to that as well. No you don't dig up the cable.

PLEASE- If you're not sure (disclaimer), let the cable co. or an electrician handle it.