Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right channel sounds louder in stereo mode

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    I've had exactly the same experience as nahn070 and in 5 channel it doesn't seem to be as prominent. Try moving that "weaker" sounding speaker forward six inches or reduce the tow-in on the "stronger" speaker a few degrees.

Randy
    The toe in is the trick. I experienced this with my 170s until I got the angle just right.

Dpristin,

Were you able to come to a conclusion on your speaker level situation??

Randy

More or less - thanks everybody for the advice. I did move the speakers around a bit and for the most of the cases it helped. Sometimes (especially while listening to some bad recording with over-pronounced highs) the soundstage seems shifted to the right but not very often.

Hi Dimitry,

Let’s do a little experiment here to see if we can determine exactly what is causing this... I suspect it is due to your room and setup, but let's make 100% sure...

Step 1.. Pull out one of your 2-channel music CD's that clearly exhibits the soundstage shift towards one side.

Step 2.. Sit in your listening position and be sure you are seated halfway between the left and right speakers.

Step 3.. Have a good listen and mark down on a piece of paper whether the soundstage is shifted left or right.

Step 4.. Quickly swap the left and right speakers, making sure the position of each is the exact same as before the swap

Step 5.. Listen to the exact same recording as before.. Did the soundstage stay the same or is it more focused toward the opposite side?

Step 6.. If it followed the speaker, call me...

Step 7.. If the soundstage remained the same, swap the left/right speaker cables at the back of the receiver and once again have a listen.

Step 8.. Did the soundstage remain the same or did it follow the speaker cable?

Step 9.. If the soundstage remained the same, problem is almost certainly your room and or speaker positioning.

Step 10.. If the soundstage shifted and is now centered more toward the opposite side, problem is most likely due to your electronics, source, or quite possibly the speaker cable itself...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Right channel sounds louder in stereo mode

Hi everybody,

It’s almost certainly room acoustics to blame. I haven’t had enough time to try all the tests recommended by David - I'll try to do the rest of them as soons as I can; but I did try to switch banana-plugs on my receiver while playing a piano solo CD which sounds perfectly centered in the headphones and - no surprise here - the image remained slightly shifted to the same side as before. I guess I need to do something about that right corner where my right speaker is positioned (the left one is in the open area). Thanks a lot for the advise!

Regards,
    Dmitry.