Thread: Sorry for the stupid 170 surround setup question...

Default Sorry for the stupid 170 surround setup question...

I know this cat has been beaten to death, but I can't find the exact answer to this here or in AVS. For the side surrounds (170s) wall-mounted directly left & right of the listening position and 2-3 feet above the listener, should they be 1) tilted down to the listening position; or 2) faced directly at each other (that is, the top of the speaker forming a 90 deg angle w/ the wall)? My first instinct would say #1, but I thought I read #2 might be better for HT for a more diffuse sound. Am I stupid for even asking this question?

Not a stupid question at all. I think Dolby Labs recomends the speakers directly facing each other. In my room, tho, I found due to the close proximity of my seating to the left surround, that I like to tilt the speakers down. Both are tilted down aprox. 15-20 deg. I'd say do what sounds best to you.

Randy

Thumbs up

I also agree with Lou-the-dog. A little tilt won't hurt, it's all about what you like.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

BTW Lee, is that a missle silo or tackling dummy in the corner of your room left of the TV? My wife would never let me put something like that in our house. Bet it sounds killer.