Thread: To listen

Default To listen

I am between deciding rockets, ascend and PSB stratus for my 5.1 HT system. I already listened to stratus and am pretty pleased with it. But, haven't listened to the other two direct's. I know I could order them and return it within 30 days. But, that is a hassle in itself. Are there any San Diegans who would be nice enough to audition their rockets or ascend speakers to me. Thanks!

The experience of auditioning speakers in my own home with my own equipment makes the return shipping a minor inconvience. Hearing speakers played in stores or other people's homes is enjoyable but it can't take the place of an extended in-home audition.
    The only piece of audio gear that I get attached to are speakers. The rest of the gear is pretty much just a means to an end for me.

My six step program:

Narrow it down.
    Bring em home.
    Audition.
    Decide.
    Return the other speakers.
    Enjoy.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    My six step program:

Narrow it down.
    Bring em home.
    Audition.
    Decide.
    Return the other speakers.
    Enjoy.

David
    I used to have a similiar program back in my dating days. Ohhh so long ago!

Randy

If you would rather hassle a 2 hour drive, I'm in Manhattan Beach, and you are welcome to hear my Ascend set-up.

But I agree with the guys above, as much as I like having people over and listening to their music on my system, nothing beats having the speakers in your own setup for audition.
    -curtis

Default Nobody in San Diego....Really ?

Thanks Curtis for the offer. I was hoping to find someone closer, but it is looking highly unlikely. I was atleast able to get a couple of folks in my distant neighborhood to audition their rockets to me. It might very well sway my decision over to the other camp.

I know there is at least one in San Diego, but he has a new baby at home, and I won't volunteer him.
    -curtis

Default Understand

I've a one year old and we won't be playing anything loud either.

I have a 7 yr old son and 5 yr old year old daughter. The 5 yr old loves music, the 7 yr old not quite as much....but he is a boy..hahaha.

I understand your auditioning dilemma....and I hope you get to hear some Ascends before you make a decision. I truly believe that their sound quality value is unsurpassed.
    -curtis