Thread: Firewire

Default Firewire

Hey Guys,
    I know it's a new tech, and new tech means massive $$$. But anyone try a firewire connection yet? I'm confused as to the advantages of Optical/Firewire/HDMI, they are all digital audio, with the exception of HDMI which is digital audio and video. Does the bandwidth of each really make that big of a difference?

Thinking of 56txi -> 47ai, 59avi, or Yamaha S2500

C'est

Yes...all digital.

The differences are political and has to do with digital copyright protection. HDMI and Firewire (1394/i.Link) can pass or are allowed to pass hi-rez audio..DVD-A or SACD....not in all cases though.

Optical is not used for hi-rez.
    -curtis

Not sure if me or anyone else has said this before, but thanks Curtis. Almost always the first to answer, and usually the only.

Just wanted to mention my appreciation.

On a side note has anyone heard an actual difference between firewire and optical? It could just be the self-fulfilling prophecy factor, Firewire definitely is supposed to have higher bandwidth, but I am really curious about that.

Thanks C'est.

For standard two-channel redbook CD music, there would be no difference between optical and firewire. Both handle the needed bandwidth.
    -curtis

Where Firewire comes in handy is in the transmission of hi-rez audio like Curtis mentioned. Only one cable for all 6 channels instead of 6 analog cables. For redbook CD and movie soundtracks, optical or digital coax is just as good.
    - EVH III

Also remember though, when you transmit digitally to your receiver or pre/pro, then you are using the DACs on that component, not the disc player.
    -curtis