Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I reinforce 340M stands?

tjennings,

How large a square piece or pieces of sorbothane did you use per speaker? Just trying to figure out how much of the stuff would I need for each 340M. Is the stuff reusable, or is the adhesive only good for one application?

bghd

Default Sorbothane

It comes in a 12" X 12" sheet for only $19, so that is MORE than enough for several speakers. I think I used perhaps five 1.5 X 1.5" squares per speaker... one small piece at each corner and on in the middle. Maybe they were more like 1 square inch each. I think I bought 2 sheets and used the extra for the sides of the dvd player, receiver, etc. to soak up vibration. I fashioned a base / platter for the dvd player out of black ceramic tile from Lowes, and put some sorbothane squares between them for vibration damping.

Think of it as a real sticky rubber. It peels off cleanly, but it certainly has bite. Incredible stuff. For 19 bucks you can't go wrong... your speakers won't budge with this stuff between it and the stands.

Here is some additional info on sorbothane http://www.sorbothane.com/PDF/sor_faq.pdf
    Last edited by tjennings; 09-22-2005 at 08:05 PM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Bought a sheet per your reco, but from Franklin Scientific's ebay store for a couple bucks cheaper. Same S/H charge as their online site. Just search "sorbothane" in eBay. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it'll work better than the supplied foam thingys that came w/ my 340 stands, esp here in earthquake country.

I've used velcro strips to hold down studio monitors to the stands. But I like the idea of the sorbothane. I just did not know where to get anything like that. Thanks for the info!

Tom

Finally got around to using the stuff. Received from Edmund Scientific via eBay in a timely manner. I know it's probably overkill, but used six 2" squares per speaker. Came in a 12" x 12" sheet, so used a half sheet for both speakers. Doesn't exactly "attach" the speaker to the stand like velcro might, but definitely adds more stability over the included foam pads and rear support and doesn't leave any adhesive residue. Works for me. Thanks for the tip tjennings.

Great, you're welcome! I got my 340's about 4 weeks ago and put five 1.5" (or so) squares between each speaker / stand.

I also used three groups of two-strip-thick between my HDTV and the 340c

http://carolynjennings.com/family-To...0cGrillOff.htm

to provide extra damping.
    Last edited by tjennings; 11-18-2005 at 04:27 AM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

It's that easy to remove w/ no marks, stains, or damage done to the finish of the speakers?

Yes - it is a tacky rubber-like material.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    It's that easy to remove w/ no marks, stains, or damage done to the finish of the speakers?
    Yes. Although it works exactly great w/ my matte black Ascends, it'd work even better on glossy surfaces. Stronger almost velcro-like bond.

Default Can't make my sorbothane sticky!

Resurrecting this thread.

I just received my sheet of sorbothane from Edmund Scientific today, and I've been having a bear of a time making it "sticky." I've followed the directions provided on http://www.sorbothane.com/PDF/sor_adh.pdf, trying both the "mild detergent, rinse, and air dry" method and rubbing it with alcohol (both ethyl and isopropyl) to activate the adhesive, but I get nothin'. Actually, I can manage to get two pieces of sorbothane to adhere to each other mildly well, but they won't stick to any other surface. I've searched the 'Net for any and all tips/tricks on using the stuff, but I'm coming up empty.

It seems like the forum members haven't had any problem getting the sorbothane to "work" for them. Anything you'd like to pass on that I may have missed in my efforts so far? I'm trying to add a bit of extra security for my 340M Classics on the TP-24 pedestals - I have a toddler who takes particular pleasure in touching/tipping Daddy's speakers and, while he hasn't managed to rock these ones yet (thanks to the 50 lbs. of sand inside each pedestal), I'd like a bit of extra insurance on my investment.

Thanks for your help!