Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I reinforce 340M stands?

Default How can I reinforce 340M stands?

OK, I've got the sand (50 lbs in each) in the stands as everyone recommended. I came across a thread about this before but can't find it, but how are you all reinforcing the stand's connection to the speaker? The threaded pressboard-like connector seems to only keep it from tilting forward off the stand but doesn't prevent twisting or from falling any other direction. The other thread mentioned some earthquake putty. Anyone using that or any other method? Can I swap the pressboard thingy with a metal bracket? Trying to reinforce the thing from the curious little ones.

This is one of the last questions I need answered before I odrer. I saw a special on Discovery about super strong glues but that seems a bit overkill. Anyone did something that worked?

put all of your DVDs on top of them. whoever sees that will know, if i knock that over, i will have to pick all of that up.

While I don't own them, I think the best would be a combination of blu-tak/earthquake putty and replacing the press-board with a metal plate. They shouldn't budge at all with that combination.

yep, what Brad said. i believe lowes, sears, and home depot carry it. i've thought about replacing my felt tabs with this, but i've never had a scare of a 340 tipping over. sounds like it would be nice to have perforated strips of this available. i would also stop in a hobby shop because they have all sorts of adhesive there.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Can I swap the pressboard thingy with a metal bracket? Trying to reinforce the thing from the curious little ones.
    Yes, I understand your situation as I have 5 kids, 1 dog, 1 cat AND a hamster running around in this house (well I guess the hamster is in a cage). Sometimes I wish the kids were in the cage instead. Anyhow I used plexiglass to fashion an attachment to the stand. Sturdy and looks kinda cool. Metal would work nicely too. I do not use any putty but really should the way the stands get bounced sometimes.

Edit; I should note that my stands are NOT the 340 stands from Ascend. I built my own but I patterned them (aprox) after the Ascend stands. I do not really know what the attachment on the Ascend stands look like so maybe my attachment version won't work.

Randy
    Last edited by Lou-the-dog; 06-13-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Having just had a 5+ earthquake in the SoCal area this weekend, made me think even more about this issue, so thanks for the responses. I thought of 2 things immediately when the earthquake hit: 1) baby/family; 2) my speakers. At least my priorities are in check, right.

A permanent adhesive probably wouldn't be a good idea, for obvious reasons. I'll try some things out (probably just some of the putty & maybe a homemade flat piece of sheetmetal as a bracket) and report back. Isn't it nice to have such a simple lighthearted thread (i.e. compared to the other ones going on)?
    Last edited by BGHD; 06-13-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Default Adhesive - what has worked well for me

What did you end up using now that it has been a few months?

What has worked well for me are sheets of sorbothane cut into small squares - put these between the speaker and the stand and the speaker isn't going anyplace due to vibration. The sorbothane is very sticky, yet peels off cleanly when you do need to separate the components. I used to have a problem with my speakers moving around - they just sat on top of the stands - after using the sorbothane, they haven't budged in a couple of years. Outstanding product.

This is where I got my sheets of sorbothane:
    http://scientificsonline.com/Product.asp_Q_pn_E_3037000

I have three 340's on order, should receive them in a few weeks, and the sorbothane is what I'm planning on putting between the stands and the speakers.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Quote Originally Posted by tjennings
    What did you end up using now that it has been a few months?
    Nothing. Still just using the included adhesive foam discs. The sorbothane looks like a good option though. Will have to investigate.

I recently bought an open box AVR that had the remote still tethered to it. The adhesive was super strong, but with twist, came off nice and clean. Anyone know what's the adhesive used in the coiled black security tethers used in B&Ms to connect remotes or other electronics to some base? Just trying to think of other ideas.

Default Sorbothane sheets

Sorbothane is one of the best vibration dampers going... my speakers use to make the stands move around on my short carpeting (no spikes). After putting the sorbothane between the speakers and the stands, they haven't budged. And it is very sticky. So it would be FAR superior to the supplied foam discs, it takes quite a bit of effort to separate the speaker from the stand with it between them. I even stuck leftover small sheets of it to the top / sides of my receiver and dvd player to supress vibration... it has stuck to the sides of them for a few years now. Cool stuff! :-)
    -- Tom --
    My HT