Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can I reinforce 340M stands?

Sounds odd. I have the exact same setup and bought the same stuff from the same company. Did the sheet come wrapped in plastic sheeting to protect it from dust? Pretty much out of the box, it's pretty sticky. But, like I said before, it doesn't work as well w/ the matte finish of the Ascend as it does w/ a glossy surface. Maybe you got a bum sheet? You did remove the plastic sheeting, right?

Maybe you might be better off with the Blu-tak stuff that others seem to recommend and use the sorbothane for damping the feet of your equipment like tjennings does.

Yes, it did come wrapped in the protective plastic sheet, and it sticks to it merely "okay." The surface of the sorbothane itself feels rather gummy and not sticky at all, however. Is that normal? The impression I've been getting from other posters is that it is (or should be) incredibly sticky and requires a moderate level of exertion to remove. I'm finding the comparison to Velcro rather tenuous right now. I think I will use it for vibration damping, though. Just a bit disappointed in its adhesive properties at the moment.

I used my old sorb that I bought a couple of years ago and used between my old speakers / stands, and it was still plenty sticky... it takes significant effort to pull my 340's from the stands with the sorb squares between them. Perhaps you diminished the tackiness by using the alcohol etc. on it? Not sure, or maybe you did get a bum sheet of it. As I said somehwere here, it hung on the sides of my receiver and dvd player for 2 years without ever falling off. I'd classify that as pretty tacky / sticky. Maybe you'd be better off with something else.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Quote Originally Posted by bryanb
    Yes, it did come wrapped in the protective plastic sheet, and it sticks to it merely "okay." The surface of the sorbothane itself feels rather gummy and not sticky at all, however. Is that normal? The impression I've been getting from other posters is that it is (or should be) incredibly sticky and requires a moderate level of exertion to remove. I'm finding the comparison to Velcro rather tenuous right now. I think I will use it for vibration damping, though. Just a bit disappointed in its adhesive properties at the moment.
    I think your expectations were too high. I don't think anyone said it's as strong a bond as Velcro, just better than the included foam disks that came w/ the stands. Maybe you might be happier w/ some Velcro strips or Blu-tak?

Default Caution!: Sorbothane

Reconsider using sorbothane sheets to reinforce your 340s to the stands. As I was prepping my 340s for upgrades to SEs, I noticed the 2 inch sorbothane squares caused puckering/bubbling & delamination at the point of contact. Luckily only the stands were affected (not the speakers, go figure) and are not visible, so not a biggie. Must be some sort of residue that affects the adhesive. I'm definitely going back to the supplied foam pads.

Default No problem with sorbothane - been using it for years

I just upgraded my 340 main classics to the SE's. I had to PRY the the classics from the base the sorbothane held them so tightly - and absolutely no bubbling / delamination to either the stand or the speaker after 14 months. Maybe the 'old' sorbothane is superior to 'newer' sorbothane? Got me, I just know I love the stuff ! When I buy my rear corner 340 SE surrounds in the Spring with my income tax return, I'll buy a new sheet of sorbothane from ES and give it a try to see if it has the same tackiness or not. Stay tuned. Actually, someone mentioned the word "gummy" and that is a better term for how they feel / work.
    Last edited by tjennings; 12-19-2006 at 07:45 PM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Quote Originally Posted by tjennings
    I just upgraded my 340 main classics to the SE's. I had to PRY the the classics from the base the sorbothane held them so tightly - and absolutely no bubbling / delamination to either the stand or the speaker after 14 months. Maybe the 'old' sorbothane is superior to 'newer' sorbothane? Got me, I just know I love the stuff ! When I buy my rear corner 340 SE surrounds in the Spring with my income tax return, I'll buy a new sheet of sorbothane from ES and give it a try to see if it has the same tackiness or not. Stay tuned. Actually, someone mentioned the word "gummy" and that is a better term for how they feel / work.
    Glad to hear yours are ok. Yeah, on the right surface (esp if smooth), sorbothane is very "gummy".