Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use an EQ with their Ascends?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question anyone use an EQ with their Ascends?

I was thinking of getting either an AudioSource EQ200 ($113 shipped, Amazon.com) or some used EQ off eBay (Technics SH-GE70, ADC, BSR) and using it *only* for bad recordings since my 340s are so mercilessly revealing.

Mainly I want to use it to reduce the treble on some of my old classic rock CDs which sound thin and shrill on the 340s. And to cut down on those horrible brushed cymbals in the background of Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" which make the song basically unlistenable at high volumes.

The rest of the time I plan on having the EQ flat or with defeat on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any particular brands/models of EQs that you might recommend?

Exclamation

Eddie, before spending any money on an EQ, you need to see about acoustic treatment of your room.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    Eddie, before spending any money on an EQ, you need to see about acoustic treatment of your room.
    I second Lee. Room is the last and one of the most important components of the HT setup. It introduces many modifications to the original signal. There could be huge ripples in spectrum spanning more than 2 octaves which are difficult to equalize using an EQ. Moreover, the time delays introduced by the reflected waves CANNOT be eliminated by an EQ. EQ is not an alternative to room treatment. EQ comes AFTER room treatment. Even if you could equalize the response curve as flat as possible, the clarity and dynamics won't improve much (because of time delays) if you don't treat your room. I'm considering DIYing a few broadband absorber panels. It might cost somewhere around $150 for say, 8 panels. I think it's worth it!

Room treatments I'm afraid would be out of the question for WAF reasons, the wife likes a real spare minimalist look and had to be arduously persuaded to accept all the black boxes I've accumulated on the AV wall --- sub, 3 fronts, receiver, cdp, dvdp, vcr, cassette deck, 2-channel separates ... any further "decorations" on my part could prove fatal!

Plus it's a rented house so don't want to be nailing too many things to the walls, etc.

So no EQ-users out there?

I would really like to experiment with some treatments BUT, like Eddie, I don't think it would go over very well with the "Boss". A tapestry here or there might work but definitely nothing glued to the ceilings. A dedicated room would be nice.

Randy

Exclamation

It could also be as simple as where the speakers are currently placed. An EQ will not be able to account for room acoustics at all. I'm talking mainly about reflections here. Furniture in the right places can also help. If you can show your wife what a difference the treatments make, they can come up with a decorative solution.

Here's a thread about what one of the members did with their setup:

Pioneer 1014 and Ascends
    Last edited by Lee Bailey; 06-09-2005 at 07:22 AM.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Default AudioControl all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I was thinking of getting either an AudioSource EQ200 ($113 shipped, Amazon.com) or some used EQ off eBay (Technics SH-GE70, ADC, BSR) and using it *only* for bad recordings since my 340s are so mercilessly revealing.

Mainly I want to use it to reduce the treble on some of my old classic rock CDs which sound thin and shrill on the 340s. And to cut down on those horrible brushed cymbals in the background of Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" which make the song basically unlistenable at high volumes.

The rest of the time I plan on having the EQ flat or with defeat on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any particular brands/models of EQs that you might recommend?
    I would recommend AudioControl EQ's over any of the brands above. EQ's are their specialty; made in USA.

I'm particularly fond of the Octave model which is no longer made, but can often be picked up used for a song on eBay. I own four Octaves and one TenPlus.

As others have mentioned, EQ cannot correct really major problems. But, I've rarely (actually never) encountered a system that couldn't be tweaked for the better with EQ, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by jerryg; 06-11-2005 at 07:13 AM.

Default Ed's subwoofer-relocation nightmare...

OK so here's the sad update: went to Home Depot and bought some Fish Tape, ran a coax under my carpet and along the left wall so I could finally put the sub in the corner next to the bookcase. What a huge pain in the butt, took me half an hour just to get the damn wire through the carpet...and left a big hump in the middle of the walkway, probably the Fish Tape and/or cable pushed up some carpet pad!

And I'll be damned but whaddaya know, I finally connect the sub in the new location...and got whacked with MASSIVE ground loop interference! The hum reduced the output on my mains to maybe 10%---for a few terrifying moments I was thinking I had somehow shorted out the amp or it had died on me mysteriously at some point during the day when I was out or maybe my wife had sabotaged the amp in revenge...lol! Finally disconnected the subwoofer cable from the pre-amp and voila it was back to normal.

I may have to take this as a firm message from the gods that the damn sub ain't goin' nowhere! And have no idea how to get rid of that blasted hump in the carpet...ARRRGH!!!

Looks like I'll just have to get some massive sub like the STF-3 then, sigh.

Or plot on how to convince my wife to let me flip the furniture.

In any case I have sworn never to run wiring under the carpet again, so help me bejesus.

thanks Jerry,

I'll look into the AudioControl EQs.

> As others have mentioned, EQ cannot correct really major problems.

After tonight I am wondering if maybe I should just be happy for what I have right now, in the room position I have it in right now.

I mean, one year ago my HT system consisted of a Sony minisystem and a pair of tiny Mordaunt Short bookshelves in the same cavernous space...

Eddie...
    Oh man, I feel for you! Sorry to hear about the bump in the carpet! Ugh.

On the other hand, perhaps this is the sign from the audio-gods telling you that you need to flip the room in order to hide it.

E-d-d-i-e...f-l-i-p-t-h-e-r-o-o-m-!

BTW, as a group, I'm sure we can help convince your wife that... ah, no, wait a minute, bad idea.

Cheers

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's