Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 340s with/without subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I guess we differ on how to optimally configure the setup between two-channel and 5.1. I make no distinction between the two for the best sound. A properly implemented crossover is always the best when integrating a subwoofer. That is my position.

If that is not your thinking, I could understand why you were asked not to do more "tests".
    Whatever, Curtis. You have stated since last year that I never posted that the 170's were run full range in the review and comparison of them. I have now posted proof, and THAT is not good enough.

Your agenda is crystal clear.

I could post numerous links in which Stereophile ran subwoofers with speakers, and the speakers were run full range. But nothing like that matters to you.

Good night.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by craigsub
    Whatever, Curtis. You have stated since last year that I never posted that the 170's were run full range in the review and comparison of them. I have now posted proof, and THAT is not good enough.

Your agenda is crystal clear.

I could post numerous links in which Stereophile ran subwoofers with speakers, and the speakers were run full range. But nothing like that matters to you.

Good night.
    You know Craig, I made no attacks on you here, just differing opinion on proper setup.

When is Stereophile right and when are they wrong? I remember you questioning a review of their's recently with some un-flattering graphs. By they way, they also speak highly of using crossovers for proper subwoofer integration...but I guess in my case, they are wrong?

I have acknowledged at one point I knew you had 170's running fullrange with the STF-1.....what would you like next? It is interesting as well that it is in the one thread that you picked a speaker over another certain brand, but yet it is a very obscure comparison, and the comparison is not part of the thread title.

Your attitude and agenda are clear as well. Tomorrow, we can talk about what triggers you asking if a listener has blind tested. There....that was my attack.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by craigsub
    Randy - I just quoted the opening line of the review as linked to by Chris Quinn. You guys wanted proof - It is there.

And you might want to look into the McIntosh ... It is SO far superior to any receiver.
    I find this interesting in that thread also...

The 340's are scheduled to ship this week, along with the H-K 630. The DVD set up will be a Pioneer 563iA ... This will be the system that will be the basis for future "inexpensive" bookshelf tests...

--------------------
    Craigsub

You now look down your nose at my suggestion to have used a reciever so you could have properly integrated the system. It appears you had a H-K 630 on-hand (with pre-out) AND a NAD available to do so. Which goes back to my original question of why you chose to run full-range (and on more than one occaision apparently). It wasn't because you lacked the equipment or the apparent original intention to use it... afterall you DID order the H-K with the package.

Randy

As far as chiming in before the test was done, if you can show me the post where you stated that no crossover was going to be used, then I will admit, that I, and every other experienced person should have chimed in, and it was our fault for not correcting you.

Lets just agree to disagree.
    Mr. Chang - Your words. This sure sounds like you were contradicting the fact that the methodology had been publicly posted.
    Craig

1. Ascend "fans" showed no praise for methodology. Please show me a post in regards to that.

2. Please post where you stated that no crossover was going to be used.....in the 170 comparison or 340 comparison.

3. In which test? In the 170 test......both speakers were subject to the same exact setup, not so in the 340 test.

What did I admit to? I did not ever admit to knowing that a crossover was not going to be used.
    Again your words. You CHALLENGED me to show where I stated the crossover status. By the way, The "other speakers", as you noted in "3", above, were not tested in the same manner as were the 340's. The 340's were given the use of a subwoofer.

The other speakers were run full range, with NO subwoofer.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    I find this interesting in that thread also...

The 340's are scheduled to ship this week, along with the H-K 630. The DVD set up will be a Pioneer 563iA ... This will be the system that will be the basis for future "inexpensive" bookshelf tests...

--------------------
    Craigsub

You now look down your nose at my suggestion to have used a reciever so you could have properly integrated the system. It appears you had a H-K 630 on-hand (with pre-out) AND a NAD available to do so. Which goes back to my original question of why you chose to run full-range (and on more than one occaision apparently). It wasn't because you lacked the equipment or the apparent original intention to use it... afterall you DID order the H-K with the package.

Randy
    Randy - Quite simply, For the purposes if this test, The way I set the speakers up and the volume levels which I used were optimal..

I am not "looking down my nose" at the receiver. I am stating a McIntosh MA-6900 is far superior in sound quality to a Harmon Kardon.

By definition, using what David Fabrikant stated in the room dimensions and listening levels, had I truly done what he said, He would have a point.

"High listening levels" typically means 90 to 100 dB for most listening, with 110 dB peaks.

This would require 50 times the power for a pair of speakers vs. what I used here - add into that doubling the size of the room, over what it really is, and you are looking at 500 watt peaks, rather than the 5 watt peaks I used here.

Again, I also used music which concentrated on the mids and highs.

But, hey, IF you guys want to think I was wrong because running less than 1 watt with normal listening levels and 5 watt peaks because that would somehow cause sonic degradation, go ahead.

Personally, I know the 340's are a better speaker than you guys give it credit for.

I had also OFFERED to use the H-K receiver in order to do another test using Rocket 250 Mark II's and Ascend 340's with a Hsu VTF-3 Mark II. I was asked not to by David F. It was HIS call, not mine.
    Last edited by craigsub; 06-11-2005 at 06:42 AM.
    Craig

Mr. Chang - Your words. This sure sounds like you were contradicting the fact that the methodology had been publicly posted.
    I will post it here and now. From your first post about the 170's, and how you were going to listen to them, you DID state that you were going to listen to them full range on a seperate forum. Point given to you Craig. My apologies as well. In the future, may I suggest that you keep a copy of your methodology in every comparison thread that you start.

Now, back to the issue of your comparison with the 340's. I will state this here and now as well. The 340's were not set up optimally. The use of a crossover for subwoofer integration was not used, and should have been. I know you know this is the case, but not willing to admit it.

You had the equipment to use a crossover. It is very unlikely that anybody purchasing these speakers would have $7K of electronics in front of them for solely 2-channel use.

Personally, I know the 340's are a better speaker than you guys give it credit for.
    No....again, that is not the case. We know it is an excellent speaker. We are saying that you did not have them set-up optimally.
    -curtis

Craig,

I would just add my point, being the starter of this thread. I never wanted to start here the discussions from hometheaterforum, just wanted an answer at a benign question…

But now that we’re there, I would make a comparison. I’m a totally inexperienced audio user, but I’m quite a good high-school physics teacher. When discussing with my students I’m usually right, but from time to time a make a mistake, and afterwards, after realising it, I just tell Sorry guys, I was wrong, and my image in their eyes never suffers because of this.

No one here questions your experience and knowledge, we just feel that you made a mistake. Acknowledging it wouldn’t harm anything, on the contrary. Continuing to say that putting them on Large was best for their performance will affect your credibility, however, on the long run. Come on, Craig, is it so difficult to say Yes guys, I made a mistake, sorry!

Virgil.

Curtis ... I did later try the STF-1's crossover with the 340's and the STF-1. Using the front I have here, there WAS sonic degradation. It is a $299 subwoofer whose parts cost less than $100. How much of that money do you think was spent on the high level crossover ?

I do agree that most people won't use $7000 worth of front end. I also opined that the 340's might be an easier speaker to drive than were the 550's. Note - I said "MIGHT" ... not "WERE" ...

This was another reason I offered to continue testing with the H-K.

The offer was declined.

I also offered to try the bookshelf version of the 550 - the 250.

The offer was declined.

Finally - If you look at what was said by David F., and do so with an objective eye, he basically said I abused the 340's in the test.

It is clear the 340's are NOT intended for high level listening in an 8000 cubic foot room. To play them IN an 8000 cubic foot room at high volume levels would be to abuse them.

The idea that I somehow abused the 340's is just plain not true.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by mv1612
    Craig,

I would just add my point, being the starter of this thread. I never wanted to start here the discussions from hometheaterforum, just wanted an answer at a benign question…

But now that we’re there, I would make a comparison. I’m a totally inexperienced audio user, but I’m quite a good high-school physics teacher. When discussing with my students I’m usually right, but from time to time a make a mistake, and afterwards, after realising it, I just tell Sorry guys, I was wrong, and my image in their eyes never suffers because of this.

No one here questions your experience and knowledge, we just feel that you made a mistake. Acknowledging it wouldn’t harm anything, on the contrary. Continuing to say that putting them on Large was best for their performance will affect your credibility, however, on the long run. Come on, Craig, is it so difficult to say Yes guys, I made a mistake, sorry!

Virgil.
    Virgil - You are right. I have made quite a mistake. I believed that when one publically posted the methodology to be used in a test, and when everyone whose product was being tested agrees with said methodology, that they mean it.

I also discussed, via e-mail and phone, the test equipment being used, and the methodology. Again, I got approval.

Now, we have people saying that I:

1. Never posted the methodology prior to the test.
    2. That I used high volumes.
    3. That my room is 8000 cubic feet.

The fact that none of these MAJOR items is true is irrelevant to the members of this forum. I understand that.

I was a Physics major at Penn State, and taught several high school courses while attending university.

I have to deal with over 100 employees, 200 clients, and over 6000 people who work for those clients. I am wrong several times per day. This is not one of those instances.

The 340's and STF-1 do, in fact, sound the best in the McIntosh system run full range on the 340's with the STF-1 augmenting the bottom end. This is within the confines of moderate levels for SPL's which we used.

I never said, at ANY time, that running the 340's in "large" was ALWAYS optimal. For high output home theater spectaculars, they would NOT be best used as "large".

And, again, I really have offered to do a retest, using any methology that everyone agreed on. That offer was declined.

When running any type of experiment, one plans out the methods to be used. We did that. Some people had a problem with the results.

Ok ... I understand that.

But, when an offer is made to re-do the test, and the offer is snubbed, and then people attack the test methodology, that is just plain wrong.
    Last edited by craigsub; 06-11-2005 at 09:10 AM.
    Craig