Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 340s with/without subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I think we are asking the same thing, no?

Craig, what do you think is the best way to configure a pair of CMT-340's , CBM-170's, or ELT Cse's with a subwoofer?
    Are we talking two channel and music ? Or For home theater ?

In the review, I never did any home theater killer effects. I used discs like Alannis Morrisette, Dire Straits, Tony Bennet Unplugged, and Roger Waters ...

The best method for integration for this would be running the bookshelves full range. Otherwise, you are running wires from the amp into the subwoofer, using its crossover, then running wires to the speakers.

This would have forced the use of about 30 feet of speaker wire to put the speakers and the subwoofer each into its optimum position.

If you guys really think an extra 20 feet of wire, PLUS sending a full range signal into a crossover in a $299 retail subwoofer would have resulted in superior sound, especially with the associated equipment, you have made an OOOOPS.

Here are some excerpts of what people said about the review:

Eddie Horton "From this review, it appears both speakers are great"

David Bikeman "This review has reinforced my decision to buy Ascends"

Kyle Pete "It is great the Ascends do so well against a floorstander"
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by craigsub
    "Gentlemen" ... I would not even be posting about this, except for I was taken to task with yet another misreprentation of the review.
    So this can mean that your primary purpose to post on this thread was that you felt "taken to task" on a error of the size of your room and the listening levels?? I can't believe your self-esteem is that frail Craig. You seem to be all bent out of shape about the listening levels but even considering the info you provided within this thread the listening levels have already climbed from your original "70 to 80db" to "never exceeded 90db". If we are supposed to stick to the facts then how come the facts keep changing?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    So this can mean that your primary purpose to post on this thread was that you felt "taken to task" on a error of the size of your room and the listening levels?? I can't believe your self-esteem is that frail Craig. You seem to be all bent out of shape about the listening levels but even considering the info you provided within this thread the listening levels have already climbed from your original "70 to 80db" to "never exceeded 90db". If we are supposed to stick to the facts then how come the facts keep changing?

Randy
    The 90 dB was the PEAK as measured at the listening position ... This means the short term peaks would hit 90 dB. The typical volume did not get above 70 to 80 dB.

Music works this way Randy.

As for my frail ego, you have been quite insulting enough. First I was inexperienced - then I was throwing money - Now I am frail.

Did you actually READ the review ?

And the difference between 4200 and 8000 is not exactly small.
    Craig

Are we talking two channel and music ? Or For home theater ?

In the review, I never did any home theater killer effects. I used discs like Alannis Morrisette, Dire Straits, Tony Bennet Unplugged, and Roger Waters ...

The best method for integration for this would be running the bookshelves full range. Otherwise, you are running wires from the amp into the subwoofer, using its crossover, then running wires to the speakers.

This would have forced the use of about 30 feet of speaker wire to put the speakers and the subwoofer each into its optimum position.

If you guys really think an extra 20 feet of wire, PLUS sending a full range signal into a crossover in a $299 retail subwoofer would have resulted in superior sound, especially with the associated equipment, you have made an OOOOPS.
    Are you stating you didn't have the right equipment?

30 feet of 12 gauge wire would not have been a big deal sonically, and Hsu puts pretty good crossovers into the subs.

Generally speaking, I certainly hope you are not saying no crossover is better for integration than with a crossover.
    -curtis

Otherwise, you are running wires from the amp into the subwoofer, using its crossover, then running wires to the speakers.

I could see how ONE would think that getting a suitable reciever would NOT have been an option.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Are you stating you didn't have the right equipment?

30 feet of 12 gauge wire would not have been a big deal sonically, and Hsu puts pretty good crossovers into the subs.

Generally speaking, I certainly hope you are not saying no crossover is better for integration than with a crossover.
    Curtis - I am running $7000 worth of front end, and you seriously want to say the system would have sounded better with 20 extra feet of speaker wire going through a crossover which could not cost more than about $5 ?

Add into that the fact that I was not even coming close to taxing the speakers in question.

Of course, you never answered - do you think hitting 90 dB peaks at 10-11 feet away from a pair of 92 dB efficient 340's is taxing them ?
    Craig

I could see how ONE would think that getting a suitable reciever would NOT have been an option.

Randy
    Hmmmmmmm ... McIntosh amp from Stereophile's class "A" ? Or a receiver ...
    Craig

I have found it, ironically, thanks to Chris Quinn. If you look at post # 28 from the review thread in Home Theater Forum (Run a search on Rocket 550's from the past year, it will turn up) ... Chris posted a link to the first two bookshelf shootouts.

I tried to link them here, to no avail. But they are there for anyone to see.

My post, word for word, on June 10, 2004 "The Ascend 170's are here, and hooked up with the McIntosh amp, modded Denon 2900, and the Hsu STF-1, with the 170's, as in past speaker tests, being run full range."
    Craig

As for my frail ego, you have been quite insulting enough. First I was inexperienced - then I was throwing money - Now I am frail.
    You get yourself into these binds Craig and then you start to suggest that folks are insulting you. I've seen this pattern with you time and time again. You've chosen to use your own insulting style here so don't start calling foul ball all of a sudden. If you feel insults were rendered... and don't like it... then let's call the ball both ways.

Randy

You get yourself into these binds Craig and then you start to suggest that folks are insulting you. I've seen this pattern with you time and time again. You've chosen to use your own insulting style here so don't start calling foul ball all of a sudden. If you feel insults were rendered... and don't like it... then let's call the ball both ways.

Randy
    And how did I get into this "bind" ? This is getting better all the time ...
    Craig