Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 340s with/without subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    no...my position is that the 340's were not set up optimally with a sub, no matter what the listening level, and the 340's sound great without a sub.

As far as chiming in before the test was done, if you can show me the post where you stated that no crossover was going to be used, then I will admit, that I, and every other experienced person should have chimed in, and it was our fault for not correcting you.

We have gone over this before. Sorry you do not like my position/opinion, but it has never changed. It just seems that when the subject comes up, differing opinions get ugly, and there is no need for that.

Lets just agree to disagree.
    Curtis - Home Theater Spot purged the thread with the 170 test, the methodology, and the thread about the 340's months ago.

As for you and other "experienced" people, I can point to countless posts about how great the 340's are sans subwoofer. And they really are. It is too bad you don't think so.

As for our disagreeing, I guess we will have to.

Too bad statements such as I had the speakers in an "8000 cubic foot room" and "listened at high volumes" are ok with you guys, though.

Because that is not opinion, period. That was a statement presented as a fact, and was completely untrue.
    Last edited by craigsub; 06-10-2005 at 09:16 PM.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by craigsub
    Randy - Some of you people amaze me. The facts are:

1. I used the identical methodology in the test of the 170's as I did with the 340's. I have also used this method in several other tests. The Ascend "fans" praised this method when the 170's "won".

2. I posted publically what the methodology was before each test.

3. Noone had a complaint about the test method (level matched, blind testing) until AFTER the results.

Are you following this ? The methodology was posted BEFORE the test began. Curtis has even admitted this in the past.

I know facts can be painful ... and, for the record, I STILL own and like the Ascends, despite this mudslinging by a certain few people.
    1. Ascend "fans" showed no praise for methodology. Please show me a post in regards to that.

2. Please post where you stated that no crossover was going to be used.....in the 170 comparison or 340 comparison.

3. In which test? In the 170 test......both speakers were subject to the same exact setup, not so in the 340 test.

What did I admit to? I did not ever admit to knowing that a crossover was not going to be used.
    -curtis

Too bad statements such as I had the speakers in an "8000 cubic foot room" and "listened at high volumes" are ok with you guys, though.

Because that is not opinion, period. That was a statement presented as a fact, and was completely untrue.
    Fine...OK...DaveF got that wrong.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    1. Ascend "fans" showed no praise for methodology. Please show me a post in regards to that.

2. Please post where you stated that no crossover was going to be used.....in the 170 comparison or 340 comparison.

3. In which test? In the 170 test......both speakers were subject to the same exact setup, not so in the 340 test.

What did I admit to? I did not ever admit to knowing that a crossover was not going to be used.
    Curtis - In the 170/ELT-Cse test, we ran the speakers full range, and sometimes added the VTF-3 Mark II into the mix.

And you were quite pleased with how that test went.

Again, the thread has been purged from the SPot ... so no, I cannot show you the post.

Hey, This is cool though, Now my room is 8000 cubic feet and I play at high levels, too.
    Craig

I have asked for the link to the post where it is stated that the 340 test would be set up in that manner nearly each time Craig has made this assertion. No one has provided it yet.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-10-2005 at 09:25 PM.

Craig,

I did not EVER see anything posted about how the systems were going to be configured crossover-wise nor did I follow your previous comparison including the 170's. You may have provided this info somewhere BUT you must remember that results of these threads spread beyond the original site and may or may not include the original config info. Also folks enter these threads at different phases of the game so they may not be privy to settup info. Once again, this is why it is YOUR responsibility to configure properly and be ready to accept the criticism when you choose not to. A big OOOPS on your part, at the proper time, would have bought you alot of mileage back then.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I have asked for the link to the post where it is stated that the 340 test would be set up in that manner nearly each time Craig has made this assertion. No one has provided it yet.
    "Gentlemen" ... I would not even be posting about this, except for I was taken to task with yet another misreprentation of the review.

Ironically, If anyone actually has the courage to go look, at one point during the review I was asked if I worked for Ascend. See post 111.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    Craig,

I did not EVER see anything posted about how the systems were going to be configured crossover-wise nor did I follow your previous comparison including the 170's. You may have provided this info somewhere BUT you must remember that results of these threads spread beyond the original site and may or may not include the original config info. Also folks enter these threads at different phases of the game so they may not be privy to settup info. Once again, this is why it is YOUR responsibility to configure properly and be ready to accept the criticism when you choose not to. A big OOOPS on your part, at the proper time, would have bought you alot of mileage back then.

Randy

Randy, There was no OOOPS here. There WAS sour grapes. Period. Again, unless you guys think running less than 5 watts into a 340 is somehow taxing the speaker.

By the way, I also freely discussed the methodology AFTER the review was done. I also offered to run another test of the 250 Mark II's and the 340's with a Denon Receiver in a more traditional home theater setting.

The offer was denied.

As for mileage from anyone here, it is not necessary.

All I ask is you guys stick to facts, and not mis-truths.
    Craig

Randy, There was no OOOPS here. There WAS sour grapes.
    No...definitely OOOPS. MAYBE unintentional and can be chalked up to inexperience but definitely OOOPS.

Randy

All I ask is you guys stick to facts, and not mis-truths.
    I think we are asking the same thing, no?

Craig, what do you think is the best way to configure a pair of CMT-340's , CBM-170's, or ELT Cse's with a subwoofer?
    -curtis