Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: War of The Worlds

Default War of The Worlds

http://www.waroftheworlds.com/

I absolutely can not wait to see this one. I haven't been this excited about a release since LOTR.

June 29th is almost here.

Actually, one of the few, and I mean very few, re-makes that I am really looking forward to. This one looks good.

I've seen it. Twice.

It's scary as hell. Don't bring the kids.

Rick

Exclamation

Yeah, this movie was not made for the 6 and under crowd. Not that a lot of parents seem to care and bring the kids anyways.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Went to see this one last night... the first time I've been to a theater since setting up my home system. The theater isn't one of the newer ones in town, offering non-THX "digital sound" (only 2 of the 10 screens in town currently showing this flick have the THX version, even though I'd bet at least 5 have the capability).

I should've checked the listings before my wife bought the tickets - the sound wasn't even close to my relatively modest home system, despite being at least 3-6 dB louder than we usually listen. The theater sound was metallic and abrasive, yet with poorer dialogue intelligibility than my home system. There also seemed to be little truly deep bass, although I'm sure there's no lack of it on the soundtrack. With all the other well-known reasons for being reluctant to go out to see a movie, I can now add the likelihood of poor sound, now that I experience better on a daily basis...

Regarding the movie itself, it's hard to say I enjoyed it. Words like relentless, grim, exhausting come to mind. Some of the special effects are impressive, and there's much less jingoistic corn than in, say, Independence Day, but there are numerous logical inconsistencies (not really Spielberg's fault) and the ending is a bit of a let-down. As someone who's seen the rather good-for-its-time 1953 original on TV several times, it was interesting to see several familiar scenes updated.

Just don't expect to leave the theater "uplifted".

7/10

the preview for King Kong looked really cool.

i enjoyed it. agree with child warning. i would say that it is worth the matinee price. the special effects were very good. the plot was developed pretty well. i guess nothing could match the radio transmission of this one - proof that you should always read your summer reading lists. still, i will admit that i was a bit let down from my initial excitement.

tom cruise and tim robbins. why not cast sean penn as well? i was surprised that brooke shields didn't come out of one of the machines. the movie would have ended differently if they had taken their vitamins and exercised.

7/10

Bump.

This one hits DVD on November 22. Can't wait!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Nov. 22nd will be a good day!
    JH

Supposedly getting rave reviews for sound/bass in AVS. Sounds like it might be a good keeper for demos. Too bad the movie/story apparently stinks. Have never seen it myself, but might get it just for the LFE tracks.

For those of you who have only heard negative things, let me
    just say I think you are in for one hell of a surprise. This movie
    is a nail-biter, with some of the most terrifying scenes since "Jaws".
    I felt wrung out and exhausted by the end.
    Great sound design, John Williams score, and Oscar-worthy visual
    effects.

And the DTS track on the DVD seems to be the favorite. I watched it
    last night at my sister's. Objects were shaking in her house she didn't
    even know she had. Even the lights flickered. It was AWESOME.