Thread: Maytag Skybox

Default Maytag Skybox

The Crestwood Blvd. Home Depot in Birmingham, AL had 2 Maytag Skyboxes marked down due to them not selling well. One was the silver colored one without the stand for $99, and the other was black for $140 with the stand for $40. They regularly go for around $300 with the stands going for around $70, so this was a good deal. I bought the black one and the black stand and some other guy came right behind me and snagged the silver one. I don't know if this is going on at all Home Depot stores, but it would be worth a call.
    - EVH III

Those Skyboxes are a bit pricey. The only one I ever saw sell at the Depot I work at was a week before the Superbowl, and there was some sort of promo going on with it.

I thought they were $399, but I don't work near the appliance center.

I'd rather have their new fridge with the top side-by-side doors and the bottom located freezer. Kinda looks like an armoire for food!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Mag, my wife wants a fridge like that for the new house. The only problem with that scenario is those babies are like $1600 for the top of the line model, I think. As an update on the Skybox, I plugged it in last evening at around 5:00 or 5:30 and as of now, it's barely cool. Maytag customer service set me up an appointment for Saturday and will either fix the unit or replace it depending on the degree of service required. I did a little reading on Amazon.com and the reviews of this product ain't great. Of all the problems reported, the main one was cooling problems. We'll see what happens. According to every Maytag commercial I've ever seen, that repair man is probably bored and in need of something to do anyway.
    - EVH III

Eddie....

funny you should mention the cooling issue. I recall a store meeting where the appliance salespeople set up a Skybox to keep cans of pop cool. It barely kept them cold.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

OK. I admit I don't get off the farm much. What exactly is a Skybox? I gather it is some sort of fridge (that doesn't seem to work very well).

Randy

OK. I guess I do remember seeing one before... just didn't know what they were called. Looks like a good deal for $100.

Randy

Well, it's Saturday and the Maytag Man has come and gone. Supposedly, it was a faulty thermostat that was keeping it from getting cold. The guy replaced the thermostat and left. Several hours later and the damn thing still won't get past barely cool. I called Maytag customer service, which is a misnomer, and was told by the first person before I was disconnected that the unit will take 24 hours to become cold. The manual clearly states that it will get cold in 3-4 hours. The person told me that maybe the service guy replacing one part affected other parts of the machine and it would take longer to get cold. I told them that that made absolutely zero sense, then I was disconnected. The second person was a smart ass, but did connect me with the department that schedules service. I now have another appointment for Wednesday. We'll see what happens.
    It's things like this that really make me want to go postal. You buy a product, have a problem with it, and have to get transferred 17 times between talking to rude, clueless people who only want to get you off the phone so they can go back to playing solitaire and filing their nails. If you finally get someone to come out, it's between Monday at 8am and Friday at 10pm. Nobody cares anymore. This is why I bought my speakers from Ascend and Hsu and my amps from Outlaw. If I have any problem whatsoever, they WANT to hear from me and the owner of the company will actually talk to me to make sure I'm happy. My wife and I are in the process of building a house and I can guarantee you that the expensive 25 cubic foot refrigerator, the expensive front loading washer and dryer combo, and the expensive dishwasher that you can't hear running will not have the name Maytag on them.
    - EVH III