Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using HK 335 as a 6.1 System

Default Using HK 335 as a 6.1 System

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the HK 335 7.1 receiver in a 6.1 configuration. I looked through the manual but it doesn't say anything about it. I'd rather not spend the extra money on a seventh speaker (plus that many speakers in my room is a little overkill).

Just thought that someone else probably ran into the same problem. . .

of course you can. You can use a 7.1 receiver in 6.1, 5.1, 4.1, 3.1, 2.1 or even 1.1 (center and sub) if you want.

Only get the # of speakers that you have money, room, and need for. Most low-FX movies I find are perfectly OK with 3.1 actually, it's just the action/sci-fi ones that sound better with surrounds.

So if you're short on dough to begin with, start with 2.1 or 3.1 and then add the surrounds later instead of buying everything at once and ending up with mediocre stuff.

But how do you hook up the rear center surround channel when you only have rear surround left and rear surround right?

I don't want to mismatch the circuitry but only connecting one of the surround rears.

i have the 335 and dont have it configured yet for 6.1 or 7.1 but the review i read said only 7.1 i will play with it later after work to see

> But how do you hook up the rear center surround channel when you only have rear surround left and rear surround right?

I don't understand your question. Why would you want to hook up a channel for a speaker that you don't have?

Just hook up SL/SR to their respective channels, the receiver will auto-detect them or if not you'll just have to go into the receiver menu to check "yes" for SL and SR.

The vast majority (95%?) of movie and even music DVDs are mixed for 5.1 anyways. When you play 5.1 source on a 6.1 or 7.1 system what happens is your receiver is *simulating* the 6th and/or 7th channels on its own.

Personally I find that as unsatisfying as 2-channel stereo sources being played back in >2-channel modes.

Default misc

> But how do you hook up the rear center surround channel when you only have rear surround left and rear surround right?

I don't understand your question.
    I can tell. Let me see if i can clarifly what he's asking about, since i'm curious myself (though I only use 5.1).

A 7.1 setup has 8 speakers total, each of which get a specific and unique sound to play (unlike old school "dolby surround" where the 2 back surround speakers outputted the exact same sound). So... if this HK receiver on the back only has "rear surround left" and "rear surround right", and he's forced to input his "back" speaker of his pseudo 6.1 setup in one of these two jacks, then its going to actually play only the left or the right rear channel sound (depending on which he plugged it into) which should differ slightly from the other channel. In a 6.1 mode, however, the rear speaker channels normally separated in a 7.1 setup would be combined.

So... does the receiver have a way you can "tell it" that you only have one rear speaker plugged in so that it can direct both the rear left and rear right sound to just that one channel? (aka 6.1 mode).

* Sorry, i dont know what terms they used to distinguish the side surrounds from the rear surrounds. I just use 5.1 so I only know rear right and rear left.
    Last edited by azanon; 06-03-2005 at 09:22 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

azanon,

ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea that the 335 would not be able to simply recognize that there are only 6 speakers hooked up to it (or at least be told that through the menu) and adjust its sound processing accordingly.

I find it hard to believe that anybody would make such an inflexible AVR...

Default misc

I would have to believe it something like i just mentioned in my edit; something in the receiver settings that could allow you to let it know you only have one rear speaker plugged in so that it can play 6.1 mode.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt all "7.1" simulated anyway? I thought the latest iteration of Dolby Digital EX and DTS "Neo 6" both just added the one extra channel, not 2. If that were the case, i wouldn't want 7.1 anyway.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

azanon,

that was exactly my question. I find it hard to believe that HK wouldn't include this setting to mix both rear surrounds to a "center" rear surround, but I haven't been able to get a conclusive answer.

In my current setup I have 5.1 surround, but I was curious if a 6.1 or 7.1 system would significantly add to the soundstage.

What are your opinions on the HK receivers? I've noticed they're priced considerably higher than the Marantz receivers for similar models. Has anyone compared the two?

Quote Originally Posted by jcookson
    azanon,
    What are your opinions on the HK receivers? I've noticed they're priced considerably higher than the Marantz receivers for similar models. Has anyone compared the two?
    They are only priced considerably higher if you are comparing watts to watts. It is well known that the H/K recievers are honestly rated (or maybe under rated) while most other manufacturers overrate their wattages. Also from what I've heard, the Marrantz recievers run quite hot. Personally I looked at both, but have decided on an H/K 435.