Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ascend/Hsu/HK635 setup

Quote Originally Posted by lmm
    The ezset menu doesn't seem to have any correlation to the surround mode or input type, so your comment that you need to run it separately for each type confuses me. can you explain?

is this a 630/635 difference?
    I believe there is no difference. To start the ezset for each input, make sure you switch to that input first. For example, (assuming you have 7 channels setup) to ezset DTS, press the NEO:6 (don't even try DTS button because your receiver will never switch to it without the digital DTS bit stream) button on the remote; when your receiver displays DTS NEO:6, start your ezset. Do the same thing for Dolby PIIx and Logic 7 7 channel(music or movie doesn't matter). When you are done with a certain input, all settings will retain for both 5 and 7 channels of this particular input.

I had my volumn up to -15 dB before doing the ezset so make sure you don't accidently turn on a radio or your DVD player with a CD in it!

A correction to my post, I stated input while it should be mode. You do need to ezset for each mode but NOT each input.

Thumbs down multiple runs of EzSet/EQ?

I'm finding some things in the HK635 manual pretty puzzling.

At one point (page 20, 3rd column, top paragraph), it says that you can set speaker size, surround mode and crossover frequency (frequencies?) for each input source. (Not for each surround mode).

However (on page 21, 1st paragraph), it says the configuration settings for speaker size and crossover points are set once and applied to all inputs.

The HK635 EzSet/EQ does equalization as well as level setting. There's nothing in the EzSet/EQ menu that indicates that it's for a particular input or mode.

There is a "LEVEL TRIM" setting that can either be "GLOBAL" or "INDEPENDENT", which lets you calibrate the sound levels from each speaker (Front, Center, Right, Surrounds, Sub) for each input (not mode). But it is a manual setting, not an automatic EzSet option.

I also looked at the HK630 manual, but it didn't look like the settings were all that different.

They don't win any prizes for "clear and comprehensive instruction manual".

Quote Originally Posted by lmm
    I'm finding some things in the HK635 manualThey don't win any prizes for "clear and comprehensive instruction manual".
    Agreed. There's definitely a steeper learning curve with the H/Ks. They don't mention the little important things in the manual. I'm slowly starting to get it, but it's good to know I'm not the only one.