Thread: A Sub

Default A Sub

I need a sub....

I am not an audiophile...mainly watch HD tv not even a bunch of movies.

I do listen to a little two channel but not a bunch.

Do I really need to spend 700 bucks?
    Oh and my room is about 35 by 15

"I need a sub.... "

Not necessisarily. What speakers do you have?

I am not an audiophile...mainly watch HD tv not even a bunch of movies.
    I do listen to a little two channel but not a bunch.

"Do I really need to spend 700 bucks? "

Depends.

"Oh and my room is about 35 by 15"

How high are your ceilings and does your room open to any other parts of the house?

David

The space that my Parent's have the HT in is a livingroom that is about 25x15x12h.....and rear is totally open to the entry way, so add another 10'. I have them set up with an STF-2 right now, and it is MORE than fine for them with music and HT. It is in a corner and provides plenty of "feel".
    -curtis

I have 170's in the rear and this week (tomorrow likely) I will add three 340's across the front.

the ceilings are 9 feet tall and there is one opening, double doors to a hallway.

really can't wait for the 340's!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeQ
    I have 170's in the rear and this week (tomorrow likely) I will add three 340's across the front.
    the ceilings are 9 feet tall and there is one opening, double doors to a hallway.
    really can't wait for the 340's!
    I'll bet starting tomorrow you're going to develop a bigger interest in music. Curtis is right (as usual). An STF-2 will get the job done, especially for music.

David

I'm in a similar situation myself. I like bass, so I deffinitely want a sub. I'm in an apartment though, so I don't want to disturb everyone around me either. My room is 16 x 20 and connected to a 16 x 10 room, all with 13 foot ceilings. I do have concrete floors, wood ceilings and have my walls are exposed brick.

I'm just trying to decide between the VTF-2 and STF-3. The price difference is only $100, but I can't decide which I want. I emailed Hsu, and Dr. Hsu responded saying I should go with the STF-3, but I did kind of like the maximum extension mode that the VTF-2 has. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter. (this will be paired with 340's all across the front, and eventually 170's in the rear, and an HK435 reciever).

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the real difference is between a 10" drive and a 12" driver, and that 50 watt power difference.

Sorry to hijack the thread btw, I figured this was just a good place to ask.

You have a big room, and if you like Bass you're going to want a 12" minimum. Going with a 10" and plugging a port to drop the tune for maximum extension is really going to hamper it's peak output at higher frequencies. Given that the VTF2 is a 10"er you're going to be asking for it even further.

At the least in your sized room (if you like bass as you say) I would get the STF-3.