Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B-Stock experience?

I called only once and asked about them. They happened to have a pair of 340's available. Luck, I guess.

Sometimes they have some... sometimes not. Timing is everything.

Good luck.
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

I emailed them and they happened to have what I wanted right away too.

Quote Originally Posted by jermy4
    I emailed them and they happened to have what I wanted right away too.
    I think because it's not posted on the website (at least I haven't found it), the relatively few who inquire have gotten what they wanted. If Ascend ever uses the Axiom or AV123 b-stock sales model, things would be dramatically different in a hurry.

David

Default B-Stock my a$$!!

Just a quick note to say that the B-stock that Ascend sells is laughable!! Only in the sense that this is anyone elses A stock. They are perfect it everyway. I have seen a couple of smudges on the speakers that I guess must be the "blemish" but I am not sure. Seriously. If you can get B stock, buy it. It is A quality all the way. And mind you that I am rediculously picky about this kind of stuff.

Now if my Marantz reciever will ever get here I will hook them up!

TripDaddy

Default B-stock

I got a B-stock 5.1 system a week ago. I communicated via e-mail and by phone with James from Ascend and he told me that normally they can ship the entire package within 2 weeks. It was fine with me. They shipped everything the very next day. There are a couple of cosmetic defects (small blemishes) that are virtually invisible from 2 feet – nothing really to complain about. Unbelievable value.

Default misc

Can someone clarify here?; I'm presuming the speakers are "B-Stock" because they are used (returned speakers), correct?, not because of the condition they are in. If that's the case, then their condition is besides the point isn't it? I would hope that most returned speakers were kept in top condition anyway (if i were Ascend), so that's not necessarily surprising to me. I'd expect that.

If i'm wrong in my assumption and these are actual manufacturing defects, and they're occurring often enough to warrant a B-stock line, I cant say that's entirely encouraging to hear as an Ascend owner.

Azanon
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

No.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason there is no B-stock listed on the site is because it is not a common occurrance to have these items.
    They are not returned items. Sometimes in manufacturing blemishes happen. No sonic difference, not used, just small and in my case (340's, imperceptable) miniscule errors in finishing.

The components inside the cases are not effected in any way as I believe they are added after the boxes are manufactured. They still go through all the rigid testing... again. I believe this to be the case.

When they occur, the good folks like James look into availability and offer them up for a discounted price. They can not be guaranteed to exist at any given time because these 'mistakes' are rare. When they happen, they are good for you and me.

cheers

shane

edit...
    BTW. This is a great thing. Really. I can not tell you how pleased I am to have these 340's in my house. I thank James and David F and all associated with this great company for their great work. Brilliant speakers.
    Last edited by shane55; 06-07-2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Default B-stock

I think Shane is absolutely right. When I talked to James he explained me that availability of the B-stock speakers depends on the availability of the cabinets. They are not refurbished but newly assembled in the slightly blemished cabinets and carry the full warranty.

B-stock is anything that can not be sold as new. They may have cosmetic blemishes, but they all sound as good as new, and have the same warranty.

I would also imagine that a cabinet found with a cosmetic defect before drivers and crossovers are installed is flagged and used for b-stock.
    Since they are all tested before being shipped to the customer, they do not leave Ascend with any defects other than cosmetic.

There is usually a wait list for b-stock, so I doubt it happens often.

edit: I see I was late to the party with my post. Also, I will add, that in the 2 plus years that I have participating on the boards, I think I have read of 3 pairs of 170's being returned, and one of them was going to be returned regardless, the customer just wanted to experience the 170's. I have yet to read about a 340m being returned....I think.
    -curtis

Default The truth about B-stock....

Hi Guys...

Just thought I would add to this discussion and clarify things regarding B-stock...

Our daily production routine is as follows...

Raw (empty) cabinets are unboxed, inspected, and placed on the production line. Components are then installed into the cabinet (woofers, tweeters, labels, logos, stuffing etc.)... The speaker is then fully tested. A tested and approved speaker is then cleaned, packaged, and set aside for shipping.

B-stock designation of a cabinet will occur in two places.. A cosmetic defect is noticed when a cabinet is unpackaged, inspected and placed on the production line. A sticker is then applied identifying the cabinet as B-stock and the exact same procedure as A-stock cabinets is followed (assembly, testing, cleaning then packaging)... Please note, the exact same testing methodology and tolerances are used whether the speaker is A-stock or B-stock.

Some units might slip by first inspection and others might get slightly scuffed up during production. These are then tagged as B-stock after the cabinet is cleaned and prepped for packaging.

There is absolutely no difference between the components in an A-stock cabinet or a B-stock cabinet...

Regarding returns... Yes, of course we get returned speakers for a variety of reasons. Many times these speakers are set aside for engineering purposes, reviews, demos / auditions etc. etc. Some returns (and only if the cabinets are in excellent condition) are placed on the production line for re-conditioning. We then install all new drivers, test, clean and package etc. These are sold as B-stock, even though the cabinets might be perfect and they have new components installed.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    If i'm wrong in my assumption and these are actual manufacturing defects, and they're occurring often enough to warrant a B-stock line, I cant say that's entirely encouraging to hear as an Ascend owner.
    Again, the only difference between B-stock and A-stock is cosmetics. Our reject rate on cabinets varies per container shipment.. Sometimes we will receive a thousand perfect cabinets, other shipments we will reject as many as 5%. Our overall cabinet reject rate and B-stock quantities have stayed about the same over the years.

Guys.. the reason you are hearing so much about B-stock, is simply because it is now after all these years, being publicly discussed. I have never advertised B-stock and I have only offered it to people who have specifically asked for discounted goods. Also, please remember that we have just moved locations and in the process, sorted through literally a few tons of cabinets that have been sitting around for a while. Some of these were built up as B-stock, others were disposed of. This allowed us to "clean up" and fulfill many of the B-stock orders.

Right now, we have 1pr of B-stock HTM-200 available.. That's all of it and we now have a rather large backorder for customers requesting B-stock. With normal production volumes, we come across a pair of B-stock cabinets every 1-2 weeks.

The honest truth why I don’t advertise B-stock on our site is simply because there is just not that much of it. Sometimes I use whatever B-stock cabinets are available for engineering purposes…

Hope this helps clear things up a bit
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com