Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 170's or 340's for large room?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    I just received my 170s last week and did a quick comparison, but nothing substantial. I was blown away by the 170s, but not because they were better than the 340s, which IMO they weren't. I was simply amazed because of the value the 170s offer. Purchased on the extender plan, they were $276 shipped. I can't imagine another pair of speakers costing $300 sounding even close.

As to the sound, the 170s were honest in their reproduction, but not quite as revealing as the 340. The top end of the 340 is just a bit sweeter, yet not at all bright. The 340s have a more dynamic soundstage, and offer more midbass extension. When properly integrated with a sub, crossed over at 80 hz, and played at reasonable volumes in a mid size room or smaller, I believe the 170 is a better value than the 340.

In larger rooms, the advantages of the 340 start to separate it from the 170. My setup is in a 3700 cubic foot room, about half of which is open to another 3350 cubic foot room, and has two other open hallways, one of which is vaulted. The 340 fills the space with more authority and greater ease than the 170 can, without sacrificing the Ascend sound. Physics alone dictates that the 340 can play louder with less distortion with the same input signal compared to the 170.

For me, the bottom line is that I prefer the 340s, but I wouldn't feel slighted if I had to "settle" for the 170s.

I'm in exactly the same boat you are. Two large rooms which are basically connected, and high ceilings. In fact. the only room in the apartment that isn't connected to the others is the bathroom. Even the office and bedroom have cutouts at the top of the wall to allow natural light to reach all the rooms. I can't wait until I can order, its still a month away!!! I am glad I got this research fellowship, but the fact that I only get one lump sum check and the end of each month will test my patience.

Thanks, Quinn. That's the thread I was talking about. Really good technical stuff explained in such a way that even I can understand it.
    - EVH III