Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does a 340c fit into a Salamander Synergy cabinet ?

Quote Originally Posted by tw1zt3d
    i was always told that the tweeters of your mains and center should be as inline as possible and "up"
    But, unless you have one of those perforated projections screens as mentioned earlier (which I've never known of before), for most people the line b/w the LR main tweeters will be right around the middle of a TV's screen. I was just looking for the best compromise b/w sound/aesthetics & was hoping placing the 340c in-cabinet would work (as opposed to on top of the cabinet). Also, I didn't wanna raise my plasma too high, so in-cabinet would allow me to mount the TV closer to an optimum height. With 340c in-cabinet with some type of backing to hide wires and pushed as close to the front as possible & angled up to listening are, while still maintaining the 18" above floor recommendation from Ascend, can I still get good results?

I guess what you think are simple threads always open up a whole can of worms...but always worms that I didn't but should now consider in my plans. I was placing more emphasis on aesthetics over acoustics.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    With 340c in-cabinet with some type of backing to hide wires and pushed as close to the front as possible & angled up to listening are, while still maintaining the 18" above floor recommendation from Ascend, can I still get good results?
    You can have good results with this setup. If I were you, I'd consider keeping the center shelf open to the back to allow the speaker as open a space as possible to vent to.

Like I mentioned before, I have my 340C on a shelf below my TV. The tweeter is only about 15" off the ground angled towards the listening area. The 340C sounds very good, but just not as great as it can sound. I can tell the difference in center image height when I A/B a phantom center to the 340C (due to it's low placement.) However, if I'm watching something in 5.1 DD or DTS, I don't notice the issue if I'm not conciously trying to look for it. I liken it to the way some people "try" to find rainbows in DLP TVs. If you dart your eyes across the screen, jerk your head, bla bla bla, you're more likely to see rainbows. So what? We don't watch TV that way. In other words, you can actively seek out a flaw that's there but not extremely obvious. But, if you don't notice it during normal usage, don't sweat it unless you REALLY want to.

I'd prefer to have my speaker above the TV, but the WAF dictates I put it below. I'd rather have a 340C below than almost any other speaker above.
    -Jim

My wife and I are looking to upgrade our TV within 6-9 months and a new TV stand/entertainment center is a must. I originally was disheartened to hear that the CMT340c would not fit in the Salamander triple 20.

We went furniture browsing today and found a local dealer of Salamander furniture, and I was impressed by the quality of their furniture, and after closer examination, the CMT340 will fit in the center, but behind the aluminum support bars. The demo model they had on the floor had a 22" center channel on the shelf, but since there are no partitions between the sections, the speaker hung off each end by and inch or two. I believe the only problem would be if the drivers actually were in the way of the aluminum supports. I'll have to measure and check, but I don't think this is an issue.

I think the Salamander units are priced a too high, but I think I could build one similar to jimsiff's for a little less. I'd have to get the shelf brackets and doors from Salamander, but the whole unit certainly be less than the $1200 that Salamander charges.

Did you bring your speaker to see if it'll fit? I thought others have mentioned the 340c will not fit?

Please post pics when you set everything up. I'm still in my forever-search for A/V furniture. On my short list so far:

-Salamander (double? triple?)
    -BDI Avion
    -DiamondCase TT400 (correct model #?)
    -DIY???
    Last edited by BGHD; 09-04-2005 at 11:50 AM.

If you want to go with Salamander, their answer to a wide center channel is the riser that has no middle-front posts. They have pictures of using it with wide center channels on their website. Of course, it adds height and a good bit of cost. You can get it with multiple different spacer heights.

If you go DIY, I recommend considering using drawer sliders for the center channel shelf like I did. It can really help with the sound of the center to bring it out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    If you go DIY, I recommend considering using drawer sliders for the center channel shelf like I did. It can really help with the sound of the center to bring it out a bit.
    Cool idea! Slide it out when watching a movie and when WAF kicks in then roll it back in! I LIKE it!

Randy

I have the Triple 30 and I placed a 340C in the center of the cabinet. It does fit but is recessed about 1 inch back so it can clear the post on either side. I can take some pictures if you wish.

Khoi

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Anyone have a 340 center in the center cube of the Salamander Synergy cabinet (looking at Triple 20)? Although they don't list the inside measurements, looks like depth should be ok, but not sure about ht & width. I could always check it w/ a tape measure, but wanna know if others have done it with success.

340 C (h x w x d) 7.5" x 21" x 10.5"

here's link to Salamander site:

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/singles.jsp

For anyone remotely interested, I knocked the BDI Avion off my short list. Went to see it at a local Magnolia and wasn't impressed with the build quality (soft-ish wood; cheapish feeling drawers; dovetail nothing; wimpy casters; cramped drawer for center channel-->no chance in heck, the 340c would fit in there). No offense to anyone who has that model, but it was barely a step up from Ikea furniture IMO. Not a knock on Ikea either, just wasn't what I expected for the money ($1500-2000). I love Ikea stuff BTW, for the money. IMO, the Salamander stuff seemed better built. The other BDI items looked pretty solid though.

khoi911,
    Yes, can you post pics of your 340c in the Salamander triple please? GG is clearing out their stock, so they're selling furniture for about 30% off, so I'd be interested in seeing your install.

I've eliminated the Salamanders w/ the extra riser because it'll bring the TV too high for my tastes. Also, as jimsiff mentioned, only higher-end or custom made furniture has decent below TV options. So, now I'm leaning towards mounting above the TV w/ Dave F's recommended mount, which'll allow me to get any ol' credenza without having to worry about 340c placement (as jimsiff mentioned previously). And, since my DIY skills, tools and time, are quite lacking, that route is probably out for now.

Sorry to cross-post, but does DaveF's above TV rig really place the front of the speaker 22" from the wall? The speaker's only 11" deep, which means it's about 11" from the wall, which seems farther than shown in the pictures. Can anyone using that mount chime in?

As you can tell, it's been a slow process for me (original post in 5/05!), because I'm not really in a rush. But it'd sure be nice to get that 340c off the floor propped-up by a rolled-up towel though.

bghd,

Here's a couple pics of my Salamander triple 20 with the Ascend 340c in it:
    http://www.aggiejones.com/store/dscn0101.jpg
    http://www.aggiejones.com/store/dscn0102.jpg
    http://www.aggiejones.com/store/dscn0107.jpg

I also considered the extra riser and then eliminated the option when I realized how tall it would be. I considered building my own version of the Salamander unit, but when I factored in time and materials my wife and I decided to fork over the cash for the Salamader.

The 340c is about an inch too wide to fit within the metal uprights, but fits nicely behind them. It won't interfere with any of your other componets unless they too are too wide for the Salamader shelves.